Model Cars Magazine Forum

1959 Plymouth Fury, Update, 6/6, Finished!

StevenGuthmiller

I've been having model building "withdrawal" symptoms while I wait for the top for my '60 Lincoln & the body of the '60 Imperial to strip clean. They both seem to be taking their time in the purple stuff.

So, in the mean time, I decided it's time to "resurrect" this old X-EL '59 Fury that I had built many years ago but had never liked.

It was molded in this bright, almost florescent, green & I had just left it in that color & painted the top beige. The green just always bugged me!

So. after a light soak in Super Clean to remove the top color & the foil, as well as the paint from the resin interior, I'm off & running.

I'm thinking just a very basic bright red with a white top & red & white interior. Sort of a "Christine" thing, but on a '59 instead. :)

Steve

DSCN4073_zpsc7dbvonm.jpgDSCN4072_zps05idholw.jpg

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

I'm pretty sure a moratorium was declared recently across the model car hobby on using red and white on any '57-'59 Plymouth model. However, in your case, Steve, we might be prepared to grant a special exception. ;)

I kind of agree John.

I told myself a long time ago when the AMT '58 Fury came out that I would never do one in red.

I thought this would be a good one to use that color on. I guess I didn't realize the rule applied to the '59. :D

The only other colors I was considering were black or copper. I don't have any copper in my arsenal @ the moment, so unless someone talks me into the black very soon.....red it will be. :)

Steve

I could definitely see this car in black with a red interior. It'll have enough bling on the outside with the chrome, aluminum, stainless (plus the little gold "v"s) and whitewalls to photograph well, in spite of being black. A car Peter Gunn would've been proud to drive!

I could definitely see this car in black with a red interior. It'll have enough bling on the outside with the chrome, aluminum, stainless (plus the little gold "v"s) and whitewalls to photograph well, in spite of being black. A car Peter Gunn would've been proud to drive!

The more I thought about today, the more I started thinking of a nice pale 50s "Aqua". I may investigate that as well.

Steve

Started getting color on this one. Now I want some opinions.

This color was something I mixed up from some leftover MCW paint. It's kind of an "Aquamarine" shade, although it looks basically pale blue in the photos. (bad lighting as usual) <_<

My question is, what does everyone think would look better for a top color? White, or a darker shade of metallic turquoise? I don't really have any darker turquoise on hand, but I do have colors I could mix. Just not sure which one would look better.

Steve

DSCN4074_zps1l2qmetj.jpgDSCN4075_zpswrbszdrq.jpg

on my monitor , it looks like grey primer.?

I vote for a darker roof color .

I think a white roof will get lost in such a light main color

Yeah, my computer & shop are in my basement so whenever I take these quick shots, it's down here, so the lighting is not good.

I may have already answered my own question anyway. I had forgotten about a jar of 1969 GM "Azure Turquoise" that I had to be used on my '69 Grand Prix build when I get around to it.

I checked it out & it looks like it will be a perfect compliment to the body color.

Natural light will yield much better color definition.

Steve