Model Cars Magazine Forum

2013 60th Anniversary Corvette 427 Convertible

ismaelg

Hi Ben,

Sorry for the late reply. I use the superfine Milliput. I've found that smaller quantities work better for me than a larger batch. I mix equal parts of each, about the size of an aspirin tablet each. I wet my hands and mix it pressing against each other and making a flat disk, like a pizza dough. Fold it over itself and press and repeat many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, times. :) Since both parts are similar color in the superfine Milliput, it is hard to tell if they are properly mixed by just looking at it. So I just do it many times. Then I usually roll it and make a long and thin log. All of this while still wet.

I apply it to the area and press it to rough shape. At this point it is still a bit sticky. After about 10~15 minutes I try to get it closer to final shape with a wet flat toothpick. I then usually leave it alone until the next day (in my case, it could be the next decade...). It should be rock hard by then. Keep in mind I live in the hot tropics, so I'm not sure if that affects the curing speed. Only after it is rock hard I start to file and sand it, checking progress with primer along the way. Primer has clogged my files and sandpaper more than Milliput itself.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Hello,

Modeling bench time has increased from 3 minutes a month to almost 5 minutes a month! Still quite far from my glory days of modeling but I'll take it.

Moving along in this project, I would love to finish the hood mods as soon as possible but this has proven to be quite a challenge. Countless passes done and countless still pending, but at least moving in the right direction.

IMGP8320-vi.jpg

What do you think?

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Ismael,

Did you know that Plamoz now offers a set of wheels that fit perfectly on the Corvette?  I bought a set and they are very high quality, smooth resin with virtually clean-up.  See the link here:

http://plamoz.com/products/corvette-c6-f19-r20-cup-wheel-set 

Also, what do you plan to do about the decals?  I just ran across this photo of a guiy who did this, but I don't have any info other than this photo.

Cheers, Bernard

10593030_1477223322529347_8932589957106143440_n.jpg

Edited by BVC500

• 1 month later...

Hello Bernard!

Sorry I've been away so long.  Almost no progress in this project (or any other) since September.  Thanks for the link!  I immediately was about to order a set (or 2) of those wheels but they are out of stock. BUMMER :(
    About the stripes, I plan to mask and paint them, since I don't like to work with decals. Ok, I HATE decals.  As for the emblems, I haven't got that far yet but I used to "design" and print my own way back when.  
    As of now, I'll be happy just to finish the white base.....

Thanks!

Some how I missed this. Amazing work you're doing on this model. I too struggle to get any bench time, so I understand your frustration. Just keep at it when you can, I am sure that you are going to do an outstanding job on this.

Hello everybody,

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!

Finally had a few minutes after months of inactivity.  Finished with what I think is the last coat of paint. Cobra colors Arctic White lacquer.  Lost count but I think this was the 5th or 6th coat.  It is so smooth it doesn't need to be touched before clear. Love that paint!  My plan is to clear the body before masking and painting the stripes. then a bit more clear over the stripes. But that is still far away.

IMGP9695.thumb.jpg.b2cfbeb623d2eba367aba

IMGP9699.thumb.jpg.4b75ba3d8f335de017d01

And yes, white is very hard to photograph. Looks better in person....

Thanks,

Happy 2016!

Let the masking begin!!!!!
I've never claimed to be normal. That been said, I hate decals. There are no decals available for this, but even if they were,  I'd rather mask and paint than using the dreaded, stupid, evil, and hated decals.
Did I say I hate decals?  Just to be clear, I HATE DECALS!

Anyways, after painting, clearcoating and a light polish,   I started the painfully slow process of masking for the silver blue stripes. With the limited modeling time, you are looking here at 3 days of work.  It may still need a tweak or two but it is almost there.  Particularly proud of the very thin lines on top of the hood.

Going out for New Year's celebrations with family so I won't be back for a few days.
See you next year!

IMGP9720.thumb.jpg.e1603a6d6a8578fe34798

IMGP9722.thumb.jpg.e6882f9a039900485a157

IMGP9729.thumb.jpg.b2018efbcdd50a8ecba9c

Thanks,

IMGP9718.jpg