Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16th Cat 657G scraper Scratch build

I Australia we do things a little different to you guys in the States, especially when it comes to heavy haulage, this is a trailer that I am in the process of building,

file-45.jpg

It is what we call a swing wing extendable, 5 rows of 8, (5 Axles with 8 wheels per axle set) with a 2 rows of 8 dolly 48 wheels and tyres in total plus spares

so far the drawings are close to being finished ready to be CNC cut, so while waiting for things to happen, I was thinking of a load for it, and what better than a

big lump of iron for the back, and having a interest in all things big, I decided to scratch build a cat 657 twin engine scraper, of course it is the biggest they make

Problem there is only 6 in Australia according to Cat here, all in mine jobs, so what to do, ......... how about up scale from a die cast

I started with the front tractor and this is where I am after 2 days roughin it in to get the shapes right, still a long long way to go

here are some pics

Part I have started with

file.jpg

file-9.jpg

file-12.jpg

Total length when finished will be almost 1100mm (43inches) of just the machine, with 2 full sheets of plastic to chop up

Thanks for all the kind comments,

Tony,

If "there's" anyone who can pull this unique build off...it is you...you have the knowledge and the talent....will be keeping an eye on this one...

Keep the pictures coming...Kurt

Thanks Kurt, but you are Far to kind, Hopefully it can be as good as Adam's stuff

AWESOME! In that 1:1 pic, Its a Mack Titan pulling that monster!! R u gonna build it too!? Sorry to get off track!

Good eye, it is Lampson tri drive Titan, as for building it, No, I don't build Mack's or Peterbilts

file-44.jpg

Little bit more done today, finished roughing in the front, now onto the cab

file-31.jpg

Looking great so far!!!!!!! Will this build have full engine detail?

Thanks Ben as for engines .... No would have to scratch a C18 and a C15

The machine does have engine covers so I do think I will be necessary because of the size I really want to keep the weight down with that in mind the weight will be in the rims and tyres as these measure 160mmx62mm (61/2 x 21/2") and being resin..... Then add 2 resin engines on top of that

The fulcrum point of the trailer may struggle with it when the scraper is loaded on this trailer in scale it will have less than 1/4" spare

• 2 weeks later...

This is a very interesting project and such a large scale to. It certainly will be quite a weight when its finished. Maybe think about making the fulcrum pivot point out of metal? Just a thought. Good luck with the rest of the project and keep us posted on progress.

Thanks Dave, I have thought about the fulcrum points, will no doubt cast them in white metal, and machine all the pins for it, thinking about all the rams in brass as well

• 2 weeks later...

Hello ,its going to look great when al done.I like CAT ...Is that 1/16 or 1/12? Im going to scratch build a CAT 631 in 1/16 for a low boy that im going too build also.Do you have CAT engines for it ?

Terry

If you are going to scratch a 631, you can use the 3408 out of the monogram truck kit, as they where fitted with these,

The 657G is fitted with a C18 and a C16,