Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 AMT/MPC '69 Hurst Olds

I'm not an expert on tire sizing, but I would have to say yes in a nut shell. From what I've read, the old system was based on aspect ratio while the new system is based more on load capacity if that's any help. But anyway, from a conversion chart a G60-15 is a 7.10-15 in the old system and P245/60R15 in the current system.

The old system of lettering, was the height of the tire, the width, just like it is now was the following number codes, with 69 meaning that the ratio of height to tread was that the sidewall was 60% of the tread width, & a 50 series tire meant the height of the sidewall is 50% of the tread width, so all tire would get both taller & wide as the letters/numbers go up, a 50 series tire would just have a much lower profile for its tread width than a 60 series would. I hope I have thoughroly confused most of you by now.

No, this Hurst Olds kit is the second version of the 1969 Olds 442 W-30 kit that was originally released by MPC/Ertl around 1988. The Hurst Olds kit was first released by AMT/Ertl in 1989. These kits use completely different tooling than the Jo-Han kit.

Don, thank you for the answer.

Yes L's would have been too wide for the front and would have had interference issues.

For that matter depending on the wheel offset would had interference issues on the rear too and if you did find a wheel that would allow it on the rear you would either have to roll the lip and or lift the rear for clearance.

Edited by Johnny

What's the difference between F-, L-, and G- 60s? Width?

Height as well.

E 's are the shortest and L 's are the tallest , theres very little from one to the other, but if you measure an E60 to a L60 it gets very noticable

It's a shame this kit doesn't come the correct G 60 or F60 - 15's

The New Round2 66 Mustang kit comes with 2 F60-15 tires, and they are pad printed. So all ya need to do is to get 2 of the 66 Mustang kits for a set of F60-15 tires. I am using the firestone tires from the AMT 66 Oldsmobile Hardtop kit for my build of the 442.

The New Round2 66 Mustang kit comes with 2 F60-15 tires, and they are pad printed. So all ya need to do is to get 2 of the 66 Mustang kits for a set of F60-15 tires. I am using the firestone tires from the AMT 66 Oldsmobile Hardtop kit for my build of the 442.

buy approx $40 worth of kits to get 4 tires, problem with this thinking is I have no use what so ever for the remainder of said mustang kit

Thanks but I'll pass

anyone bought one or several with plans to not use the polyglas tires , pm me . I could use several sets of the F60-15's and maybe even a few of the L60-15's

So the way I understand it, the only thing new about this one are the tires ?

Yes.

I could use several sets of the F60-15's and maybe even a few of the L60-15's

I would be willing wager a small sum Round2 is already planning to offer these as a Parts Pack set, just like their Firestone whitewalls and both sets of drag slicks, all of which appeared in kits first, then became available in a parts pack a few months later. A set of four F- and L-60 15s in each pack for $12.00 or so, and they'd have another sure hit on their hands.

buy approx $40 worth of kits to get 4 tires, problem with this thinking is I have no use what so ever for the remainder of said mustang kit

Thanks but I'll pass

anyone bought one or several with plans to not use the polyglas tires , pm me . I could use several sets of the F60-15's and maybe even a few of the L60-15's

As sad as it is, I bought two of the Mustang kits to get the tires. I am sure that I will find a use for the rest of the kits, but the ties are really nice. The total cost was just under 28.00 for both kits at Hobby Lobby with the 40% off coupons.

I don't know about the 15 inch tire size on the cutlasses. I owned a 1969 cutlass s holiday coupe with the w-31 package and it had factory 14 inch tires. I was second owner of car and it had 70,000 miles on it. And the door tag i believe said they were f70 by 14. Anyway that was the tire size of the factory chrome wheels.

Update on wheels. I did research om lime and talked with a friend who has worked for olds forever. Je said the original wheels were 14 inch but a lot of people update the wheels to the later style 15 wheels. Hes not sure but in 70 when they changed the body style to wider some of the cars had 15 inch tires fit because there was room to do so. Unloke the narrower 69 body.

Just got my kits today and decided to check the tires. Don't know if it's a early mold issue or they corrected the part, but both kits I opened didn't have mismatched tires they all looked good. I like the new tread pattern. I wonder if tires size could be corrected by removing the tampo printing and using a shabo set to correct the size? Ideas?

Just got my kits today and decided to check the tires. Don't know if it's a early mold issue or they corrected the part, but both kits I opened didn't have mismatched tires they all looked good. I like the new tread pattern. I wonder if tires size could be corrected by removing the tampo printing and using a shabo set to correct the size? Ideas?

I was thinking that myself the other day. I've seen some N scale railroad decal/rub-offs(like Shabo's) that may work if the size and font is the same or similar.

• 6 months later...