Model Cars Magazine Forum

Two part question on salvaging a jar of dried out paint

I've got an old jar of Polly S water-based acrylic paint that I found on a "Discontinued" rack years ago. (Original P/N 500817). Long story short, it has dried out and I'd like to find a way to revive it, since it's not available anymore.

1) What would be the best substance to use to try and revive it? (I have a Badger paint mixer...)

2) Being a water-based acrylic, and assuming we figure out a way to salvage the paint, what can I use to retard the drying time? I used to use this primarily for lettering tires,but I found that it dries too quickly and I can only do parts of a letter per stroke (think Monogram outline letters on their GT Radials).

I'm really not looking for a substitute, primarily because I think this paint's slightly off white color looks more realistic than a stark flat white of most flat acrylics. (Look at your own white lettered tires when they haven't been freshly scrubbed for about a month).

Liquitex,and a few others make a retarder for acrylics,I think it's called Slo-Dri. And there is also something called Flo-out or something like that. Look for it at Hobby Lobby,Michaels,and artsy type stores.

I have never tried to bring an acrylic back from the dead. Hope it works. If not try Floquil Reefer White(insert comments here) in their railroad colors line. I've been using it on painted on WW and it takes about a week to dry,but then it's okay.It's very opaque,so it covers black well in usually one stroke.

I found the numbers and descriptions for the additives:Liquitex Slo-Dri retarder #6711

Liquitex Flow-Aid flow enhancer#5620

Edited by Mike Kucaba

And... If you'll re-read the original post,you'll see that he was looking for something to retard the drying. This medium is a thinner,no? Then it to would be an additive.Also I'm in Arizona and the temps now are over 100 F. I spray outside in my patio and if I didn't use a retarder,or the other additive, flo- aid,the paint would be drying on the airbrush. I will try the medium that you showed in another post as it is the same brand as some of the other acrylics I have.Maybe it's cheaper than Tamiya's.