Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Hornet's Nest: Hudson Hornet Build Madness!

Dr. Cranky

:lol: Thanks, Cranky! Just thought it would look pretty cool, except it would have to be more jagged, scaly-rusty and grimy than the picture. ;) As I said, I'm not exactly the best artist, ESPECIALLY on a computer!

But, it is Chuck's build and it's lookin' KILLER and Unique as normal... so he may have something even better for it in his mind. I do know that no matter how that beast ends up when finished, we SURELY won't be disappointed! B)

I'm just stuck on a powerplant for mine. I was even considering a boooooooooooring Small Block Chevy (but with a cool intake), but now I'm leaning toward an old Buick Nailhead.

Chuck, how about mating two Hudson sixes and making a wild V-12?

I'll send you an engine if you're interested in doing it ;)

I'm just stuck on a powerplant for mine. I was even considering a boooooooooooring Small Block Chevy (but with a cool intake), but now I'm leaning toward an old Buick Nailhead.

I think a nailhead would look cool in it. Or, how 'bout a nice and filthy looking small diesel?

I was considering AMC power, but I don't have a Jeep inline six anymore ( :lol: :lol: :lol: ) and besides, it would actually be a smaller-displacement than the 308 in the Hornet anyway. I ruled out an AMC V8, because almost all the AMC V8s in 1:25 scale are junk. I am leaning toward Chrysler power, though. Being that Hudson/AMC got rolled into Chrysler, that would be a legitimate choice for preserving the 'brand heritage', too.

This is what I've done so far.

hornet1005.jpg

I don't think I'm going to change much as this build will be a combination of what Moebius has wrought and what I might have done if the 1:1 were mine and it was the mid-fifties (or maybe today). I may try a hubcapless look or moon discs just to make that change. I added brass screen painted black to the air cleaner openings.

hornet1003.jpg

hornet1002.jpg

I really wish the yellow of the air cleaner decals hadn't completely disappeared when laid over the red. The only thing visible is the black which I don't think should be there in the first place.

I'm still waffling on a body color

Edited by samdiego

I was considering AMC power, but I don't have a Jeep inline six anymore ( :lol: :lol: :lol: ) and besides, it would actually be a smaller-displacement than the 308 in the Hornet anyway. I ruled out an AMC V8, because almost all the AMC V8s in 1:25 scale are junk. I am leaning toward Chrysler power, though. Being that Hudson/AMC got rolled into Chrysler, that would be a legitimate choice for preserving the 'brand heritage', too.

Hey Chuck, I reworked the major flaws of the AMC V8 in the R/M CJ-7 kit, Mr. Ballard has the molds made to cast them...

Unless the V8 in the soon-to-be-released Gremlin kit is better :unsure:

Left is kit part, right is reworked master:

IMG_45032.jpg

IMG_44992.jpg

Thanks. I'll have to see if I can get a corrected set, the touch of yellow on the red cans is kinda iconic. As for the red motor, I have no explanation. it could be the rare, dealer installed 7X motor option. The 308 was bored .030, The block was relieved, knurled pistons, bigger valves and cam, and a higher compression aluminum head. I guess they could have painted the head. This is a base motor, I don't know if this is what was designated the single H or not.

twinhc075.jpg

Edited by samdiego

Hey Chuck, I reworked the major flaws of the AMC V8 in the R/M CJ-7 kit, Mr. Ballard has the molds made to cast them...

Unless the V8 in the soon-to-be-released Gremlin kit is better :unsure:

Left is kit part, right is reworked master:

Yep, that's why I said 1:25, the R/M CJ-7 engine actually isn't too bad, but its 1:24. The engine in the old Revell J-10 isn't too bad, and 1:25, but when I say its 'not too bad' I mean it's 'not too good' either! :lol: