Model Cars Magazine Forum

My Barracuda

FASTBACK340

I'm refinishing a Highway 61 1/18th. `68 Barracuda. I started with the White version since it had my car's steel wheels & dog dish hub caps. Being I had to strip a metal body I used a bench grinder/wire wheel in my shop and carefully removed the original paint with the wire wheel. All the chrome trim are seperate piece's and emblems are photo-etched, so re-installing them should be a breeze. I also located a 1/18th. 340-6bbl. like I have in my car. I primed it with DupliColor white, hit it with about 5 thin coats of Model Car World #2654 bright turquoise metallic, then several coats of DupliColor clear. I polished it out and decided another trip to the wire wheel is necessary.... I have a run in the r/r quarter, a BAD splotch on the roof, and I chipped the hood/cowl like a hack.

Here's where I'm at so far:

The original White paint w/ side stripe.

118Cuda1_jpg-vi.jpg

After visit #1 to the wire wheel.

118Cuda6_jpg-vi.jpg

After paint job #1.

DCC1_jpg2-vi.jpg

The factory color is LL1. My car has a Black bench seat interior w/ a 4 spd. Hopefully I'll have this one done soon.

DCC2_jpg2-vi.jpg

A little aricraft stripper will do the job without all the grinding :D

I wouldn't call it "grinding". It's more like aggressive buffing :wink:

I've used that stripper in the past: too toxic for my tastes. I can strip the entire body with a wire wheel in about 15 minutes. It'll take that long (maybe longer....) for the aircraft strip to do it. Plus I don't have to deal with chemicals or the glop.