Model Cars Magazine Forum

'Altered' Fiat (Mighty) Topolino Update 12/27/14 Finished! Pics!

Thanks a bunch Dave! The header tips are 'carved' out, they just aren't colored yet, so , it's a little hard to see in the photo's, xact-o. One of blade tips is actually imbedded in one of the tubes! (you can't see it unless you look directly inside). As for the artist chalk, that sounds 'really' cool, talk about realism! I don't have any and how would you apply it to the inside/outer edge, artist brush? Thanks again Dave.

Edited by Speedfreak

I believe artist's chalk is kinkda like a regular chalk; perhaps thinner than sidewalk chalk and more like a crayon. Along with that, watercolors allow you a broad ability to mix & match colors; the only issue is that when the headers are installed, you need to have your ducks in a row before you start!

Gene, I would try a black crayon or chalk like mentioned. there are weathering kits by Tamiya on ebay and I don't know if hobby lobby sells them or not. I would not weather the heads I think they look great...

Carl thanks, I'll check out that Tamiya weathering kit. I'm gonna leave the valve covers gloss black like they are. That's the way many (all?) 392 valve covers's of the vintage this kit represents came, at least from the pics I've seen.

Gene, I would try a black crayon or chalk like mentioned. there are weathering kits by Tamiya on ebay and I don't know if hobby lobby sells them or not. I would not weather the heads I think they look great...

Carl, did you mean the valve covers? Or, headers? I just orderd the Tamiya weathering set for doing burnt metal/oil stains etc,....!!!!!!!

Edited by Speedfreak

Dave, was/is it an older 392? I ordered the Tamiya weathering kit for doing burnt metal, there are several different kit varieties. It looks kinda like a woman's make-up kit, it's got three big squares, pink color for burnt metal, then a light blue, and some kind of brown for oil stains. The applicator has a angled sponge on one end and a brush on the other. It looks pretty cool.

Nice build Gene!!! Not to hijack your thread, but your gonna love that Tamiya burnt metal kit, just remember to start with a little, you can always add more, and it works great over buffed metalizers too.

P1010012.jpg

P1010009-1.jpg

John, how's it gonna work over Tamiya Matte White? 'Cause that's what's on the headers now. And I think that probably changes how I should apply it, versus putting it on something representing metal. I guess I'll do some googling to find out what white headers look like after they've been used for awhile.

Nice bike for sure! Beautiful.

John, how's it gonna work over Tamiya Matte White? 'Cause that's what's on the headers now. And I think that probably changes how I should apply it, versus putting it on something representing metal. I guess I'll do some googling to find out what white headers look like after they've been used for awhile.

Nice bike for sure! Beautiful.

Gene, for white headers I'd use the black oil stain in various places to detail them. As we all know white headers don't stay white for long!!! The blue & orange-ish colors are mainly for bare metal surfaces.

Dave, was/is it an older 392? I ordered the Tamiya weathering kit for doing burnt metal, there are several different kit varieties. It looks kinda like a woman's make-up kit, it's got three big squares, pink color for burnt metal, then a light blue, and some kind of brown for oil stains. The applicator has a angled sponge on one end and a brush on the other. It looks pretty cool.

That is what I thought they looked like when I saw them Gene. Glad you found them...

• 2 weeks later...

The fit on certain sections of this kit is sooooooooooooo bad I'm having trouble staying motivated. It says " new tooling" but there's still a lot of '1961' AMT in this kit. The engine is ready to be wired and the headers need weathering and then it's ready to install. Ok, I'm finished whining. (Condenced version)

Edited by Speedfreak

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, here's the latest progress shots. The engine wired, correct firing order, I hope! At least I think it is! Everything is from the kit except wires, looms and plug boot material all from Detail Master. This is only the third engine I've wired in my life! And I made it a real bugger because I didn't start by putting the wires in the magneto first, I started from the other end, yikes! Don't do that! Well, I intended to but things changed, lol. There's also a shot of the hand break lever, I had to replace the main part of the handle with some craft metal wire because I broke the plastic part.The headers still need some weathering, then it should be install time. Thanks to everyone for the help on this. Jeff and most certainly Bill, without whose help this wouldn't have been possible, thanks!

post-12459-0-15446600-1401231657_thumb.j

post-12459-0-08307100-1401231675_thumb.j

post-12459-0-13218600-1401231695_thumb.j

post-12459-0-47248300-1401232879_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

It's about time for a real update:

At night in the shop:

post-12459-0-77714700-1404279024_thumb.j

Full Blown 392 Hemi:

post-12459-0-86780200-1404279143_thumb.j

Ain't that magneto purdy :wub:

post-12459-0-16593000-1404279351_thumb.j

A little of the 'ol in/out (sideways that is):

post-12459-0-70787500-1404279539_thumb.j

Look at those headers! (Drill baby Drill):

post-12459-0-56971700-1404279704_thumb.j

And last but not least (or is it?):

post-12459-0-22278100-1404279757_thumb.j

Anyways, It's all kit stuff except for the wiring/boot material/looms, those are from Detail Master. More updates sooner to come. Thanks!

Edited by Speedfreak