Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fabulous 50's Community build

Nick Winter

Thanks Nick, for colour I was thinking of something creamy and smoooooth.

I got some more done this weekend. I decided to go with the stock grill but I modified it a bit, got the frenched headlights started and changed the peak on the hood.

P1030866.jpg

Rescribed the door lines and started doing the body work.

P1030868.jpg

Mounted the '59 Caddy taillights and recessed the license plate.

P1030870.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I need to touch up paint and clear coat my Hudson hornet the it's on to final assembly.

The 57 ford, however, is going to be without a motor. given the circumstances I will still try to make it a nice curbside.

Once the clear is dry and all done on the hornet I will get pics of it on here. I am really looking forward to final assembly on it!

• 1 month later...

I build many 50's cars. They are some of my favorites. I have a Lindberg 53 Ford hardtop kit waiting to be built, so count me in. I plan to use the 53 in my diner diorama, set in 1959. I want it to represent a car a teenager on a very low budget would have bought used, and added a few mild custom touches to. Bullet taillights, lowered suspension, spinner hubcaps, bar type grille, maybe headlight scoops, fuzzy dice - all period stuff.

Sam

I finally built the Lindberg 53 Ford. Here it is. No headlight scoops or fuzzy dice, though. In fact, I forgot the inside mirror! The chassis on this kit was warped, causing some fit problems, but I got it together. The blue paint is something called XO Rust, similar to Rustoleum. It takes literally DAYS to dry, but doesn't look too bad. The cream color is some Walmart stuff from years ago. Fifties customs are cool!

6796623708_62c0aa9b55_z.jpg

6796623268_97e82b59d8_z.jpg

Sam

Ive just been researching a few new 50's mopars Im starting & cam accross this thread. Lots of great cars going on here. Great work.

Here's a 59 Imperial I finished a few months back. The idea I was going for a american graffiti/ happy days drivein type look with a young fellow & his lady. I originally had standard wheels & tires on it but just changed them to something more hotrod. I do need to take some better pics ot it, heres some pics -

IMG_1078.jpg

IMG_1083.jpg

IMG_3695.jpg

IMG_3690.jpg

I didnt mention this is a slotcar. This was before I changed the wheels to what hey are now

IMG_3709.jpg

My car probably wont qualify for your buildoff but thats cool. Just thought I would share. Im currently working on a 60 Plymouth & a 59 Plymouth.

Edited by mopardevil