Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Toyota Supra GT (Custom).

BMX Addicts

Yes, I agree, the chassis paint looks very real (Is Tamiya Light Gun metal TS-42).

I have to say that I dont mind painting the bodies or any other larger parts with spray paint, but I always wanted to be able to use the airbrush like all the guys you see on the YouTube tutorials (Have followed the Plamo Tsukurou channel for a long time and even though is in Chinese or Japanese, I truly enjoy looking the stuff they make: https://www.youtube.com/user/Jiscuit ).

Talking about spray paint... I think I just ruined the body as well.

Brand new can of Testors clear coat enamel and the thing just went wild half way down the job... It was the last one so I could not stop, the paint was not flowing uniformly and I had mora clear on my hands than in the body of the car. Looks Ok but not great, may have to polish a little and do an additional coat

photo-4_zpsb0dd18c0.jpg

photo-5_zpsd792fd23.jpg

Spent some time talking to a local hobby shop owner, I'm not sure if he was trying to sell something more, but he was very persistent on the idea of me trying a bigger scale, he seemed to believe a noob would do much better... What do you guys think?

Edited by BMX Addicts

It makes sense to start with a bigger scale, it's easier to paint larger details and work with bigger parts, but it'd be funny if he was trying to sell you a big honking tank model when you're there buying 1/24 race cars.

I'd love to make some 1/18 scale cars, mainly so I can make 1/18 figures to ride them (GI Joe scale), but I'm not keen on spending 50 bucks for a big model haha. The selection of models isn't that great either.

Edited by Henchmen4Hire

Yes, you are right... AND I did turn around to look at the larger models, the selection is very limited in 1/12 and if you are a Race car fanatic you'll be stuck with 70's stuff (F1 mostly), not to mention they all are all on the $ 120.00 range (Almost grabbed a 1960's Beetle though... The Ford GT with the photo etched parts looks awesome as well, this one is $ 140something).

Not long ago I found a very nice paint on eBay in both Red and Yellow (Candy)... Been starring at them and can't wait to use them on a new project, maybe I'll go back to the hobby shop and get the Beetle after all IOI

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360572646428?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Go to your local hardware store/plumbing supplies and find the correct adapters to fit the hose to your airbrush, or you can use quick couplers on the brush and hose. Hose attachment points on airbrushes are either 1/8" or 1/4". I have a small adapter on one of my brushes so I can use the same hose for all them. You can find them at Coast Airbrush or any good airbrush supplier.

Thanks DR, I did make a trip to Home Depot, they have the 1/4" and 1/8" adapters which would fit pretty much all available compressors out there, the problem is the Paasche airbrush, it is smaller than 1/8".

I found a place that sells the original Paasche hoses in all lengths, will order a 10' this week.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/airbrushdepot/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=PAS+A-1/8%22-10

Still thinking about the 1/12 :P

Edited by BMX Addicts

Man, that sucks about the rim and tire, I always get nervous during final assembly due to things like that. I had problems with my airbrush and hose too, I spent quite a while in Home Depot with the hose and regulator getting the proper fittings to make it all work..if I only used a standard airbrush instead of a cheapo Testors I could have bought a hose easily and made it work!

Edited by Custom Mike

Well, that's just it... Another note for the Rule book: "INSTALL THE TIRES LAST"!!!.

The cruel thing is the wheels had already been sprayed with clear and it had to be precisely on the one that had the decal off center, so now it has all the white leftovers stuck in between the clear and the paint :blink:

In all honest truth, I just dont want to go back to my experience with the Nissan where I ended up buying three kits to finish one... For Real!!!

photo_zps82e8be0d.jpg

photo-1_zpsf9860a33.jpg

I have no idea what that is, but looking at the decals it may be the fuel intake cap?... I just thought it would be nice to paint it in green (Mistake!!!), I will make it black.

Installed the roll cage today... Glueing those little bars together was HARD!!!...

photo-10_zpse99ccf71.jpg

Still there is a spot in the back I could not make fit (I attached one of the bars ahead to use as a guide and it was wrong :P ).

photo-11_zps4f8946a4.jpg

• 1 month later...

Nice looking build. I see that you are now building the Tom's Supra and having fun with the decals. Have you built the Sard Supra yet? I have that one and have been a little Leary about building it.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

That looks brilliant, so much detail. Love it!!

Thank you Tristan.

Nice looking build. I see that you are now building the Tom's Supra and having fun with the decals. Have you built the Sard Supra yet? I have that one and have been a little Leary about building it.

Later-

Yeah... I knew from the start those decals were trouble!!!. If I ruin the next set I would consider applying the Sard instead.

You should build the Sard Tom, the build itself is pretty simple (I think the hardest part is the roll cage, which is not, and the side panels that require some pressure while the glue dries).

Edited by BMX Addicts

Yeah, I've wanted to build it for some time but I have too many projects to finish first. I may have to start it soon anyway.

I do like the colors you did on this one. You may have said it before but what color is the blue? I was thinking of doing mine in black with red or orange wheels.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr