Model Cars Magazine Forum

Are You a "One & Done" Builder?

Usually just one, but there are exceptions. I have done 2 AMT 53 Studebakers, 4 Revell 69 Camaros, on my second AMT 51 Chevy, and have the ragtop in the wings. I'm sure there are others I am forgetting.

I usually get bored with the same subject matter to build the same kit, except for if you build a total custom then its nice to build the same vehicle box stock to see what the car or truck was before and after. Other than that for me its one and done.................

It all depends on the kit subject and how versatile it might be. For example, I've only built one Garlits' Swamp Rat XXX because that's pretty much all you can do with that kit. But I've done several of the Tommy Ivo Top Fuel cars and every one is different. Same thing with the Revell Willys coupe, their early funny cars, etc.

And I'd build lots of Monogram Big Deuce and Big T kits if I had unlimited space to display them! :lol:

To me it's all about the subject. I tend to stay within certain subject matter. So the chances that i'm only going to build one of a particular kit is unlikely. Exceptions are maybe non mopar factory stock builds.

Drag cars (all makes) and Mopar factory stock make up 90% of my subject matter. I do have a 1959 Corvette to do maybe next winter. And,, I am looking for a few more non mopar factory stock kits to do down the road, unfortunately they are mostly long out of production annuals. So budget is a factor I have to take into consideration, so says the CFO.

Edited by gtx6970

This one. It was so bad, and so far from a snapkit that I even threw the box away. I cant remember the name of it and dont give a fig. It fought me all the way.

DSCN0752-vi.jpg

Ironically I bult two of those because they fell together and were fun to play around with paint on. I think it was called the Road Ripper?

Your wheels and tires are a huge improvement, nice rack too.

There have been a couple French cottage industry kits I vowed I'd never build again, at least for myself, but I can be influenced to build them for others as it turns out...

If i find that it was a fun kit to build and i have ideas in my head for different builds then yeah ill build a couple. One recent build has spawned about 4-5 more future builds, the 1/12 scale Shelby GT500, i built the first one box stock for fun, now i have another one that i will be lowering, adding brake lines, wiring harnesses, ect and i've got 3+ people on the local Mustang forum that want me to build them a replica of their own GT500.

I'm not adverse to building several of a kit, I just work too slow to do so most of the time!

When I'm building something, different ideas keep going through my head. For instance as I was working on my '34 Ford that I did a slight section on, I got the idea for a much more radical section that's still going through my head. And I do own a second kit!

There's also the 'if I knew then what I know now' factor. The Heller '28 Citroen truck was a pain to build, but now with the experience behind me, I could do a much better job on the next one. So happens I have the woody pickup of the same kit, that I found the '34 Ford chassis slides right under! So a street rod version may not be far behind.

all depeds on timeframe..i;ve been away from plastic modelling for ,,ow about 20+ years

and now kinda 'redoing' the things i've put together ,back when i was in my early teens

pay attention to the words 'put together'..çause back then that's about all i did..and can't even imagine what my efforts looked like

i've redone a ZZ top 33 Ford ,the way it should..and currently building the Revellogram 1/12 57 Chevy Bel Air..a 1/12 Camaro was recenlty found online also...so i've got my work cut out for me..

i've gathered a lot more patience over the years,,which is 90% basics in getting a model finished..skill you just learn by building over and over each day..as well the drive to finish something without messing up big time

did a lot of kits in the past ..so you could say that i build some more than once..even 25 years apart (probably different tooling also)

It seems like when I start on a model, I think of different variations to make so I end up with multiples of the same kit going on at the same time. I have 5 39 Chevys going right now, 3 coupes, a sedan delivery and a station wagon. When I run into a stopping point on one, I go to the next one.

I fall into that "I have way too many to build multiple versions" camp. The exception to this is police car "blanks" which are just new decals on a kit I've built so many time I can probably sleep through everything up to the decal application. Also do we consider different variations of the same tool building the same kit? I mean I have all three of the Nova kits, they're all essentially the same kit ^_^

Also do we consider different variations of the same tool building the same kit? I mean I have all three of the Nova kits, they're all essentially the same kit ^_^

Ditto. But especially with the newer Revell kits that have multiple build options I tend to buy at least as many kits as there are build options. So, all three of the Novas, two 68 Chargers, two 69 Darts, etc. I actually bought two of the original issue of the Nova but I ended up giving one to my dad to build.

Hey Mark -- how many Lotus 7 / Caterhams have you built? :)

By my count I have built six 1/12 scale Caterham Sevens (working on #7 but without a kit, this one is all scratch-built).

I have built four 1/24 Lotus Sevens.

And two 1/48 scale Caterhams.

So… 12? Going on 13… And I have an idea for yet another 1/12 version after this one.