Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Revell '70 Plymouth HEMI 'Cuda 2'n1

Well I picked mine up today and was very very impressed "this not a complaint" just a observation mine had a ton of flash on the chrome trees and the chassis, I guessed it's the price of a new tool getting dialed in. Here's the cool thing for me a lot of parts from the Sox & Martin Johan kit fit nicely into this one...Ok resin guys we need a flat hood to go along with it LOL..The way the economy has been the last few years it's nice to see new tooling and updates in the model arena, it's a nitch market anymore, so thanks to the manufactures..

Jim....interesting. I've got three of them now, one had no flash, the second had just a little bit on the floorpan/Unibody casting, and the third I haven't looked at closely yet but don't recall seeing any. Add your experience and that's a lot of variation for a new tool. Hmmm TB

Wow! The OnLine QuickBuild of the Revell '70 'cuda is finally finished. It took parts of eight days, and most of it was pure fun (a little hard not to get a tad stressed during final assembly today, but we made it).

Here are a few views of the completed model....

DSC_0701-vi.jpg

DSC_0702-vi.jpg

DSC_0708-vi.jpg

DSC_0707-vi.jpg

DSC_0711-vi.jpg

Thanks everyone for your interest, your questions, your comments, and your enthusiasm! Now let's see YOUR builds of this kit!

Best regards...TIM.

Sharp build...like the color choices.

I agree completely .

The black with B5 blue interior combo is definitely unique . Before I ever saw a photo of a car in that combo my first thought was , How gross ! But when I finally saw one coloured as such ( a 1968 or 1969 Coronet R/T , if I remember correctly ...) , I was plesantly surprised :) .

Great work , Tim !

BTW , the one which I ordered (online) less than a week ago arrived today !

:):D:o

I just opened it about 10 minutes ago ; so far , I am in love with this long-awaited gem !

I haven't been able to thoroughly peruse its contents yet . It's 1740 HRS here ; and due to the combination of my myopic 43 year old eyes , poor lighting , and the tremblling excitement of a 10 year old (don't want to accidently break any of the kit's contents !).

My only beefs so far :

- Chrome instead of Clear tail lamp lenses ( I was already aware of this )

- I wasn't impressed with how the decals were *arranged* in the box , sitting as they were pressed-against one of the verticle ends of the box's insides . No kinks , mind you ; just a slight concave was the result .

And , no , these definitely did not detract from the overall 'fun' of checking out the first all-new Barracuda kit in decades !

I see the valve covers are not then correct wrinkle finish street hemi covers but the chrome smooth race hemi ones. Oh well. Easy to fix

Yeah , they're the typical Revell 426 Hemi valve covers . That ridiculous looking sideways-mounted two dimensional breather makes about as much sense as the moulded-to-the-windshield interior rear view mirror on the 1988-issue AMT '66 Nova !

I'm gonna use the M/T 'covers from Scenes Unlimited :)http://www.scenesunltd.com/

Edited by 1972coronet

I cannot tell in Tim's picture but on a Cuda grill there should be a red molding down the center of each grill side. I not sure if Revell added it to the grill centers or not. The body of the car and Tim's build looks right to me. I love it.

I cannot tell in Tim's picture but on a Cuda grill there should be a red molding down the center of each grill side. I not sure if Revell added it to the grill centers or not. The body of the car and Tim's build looks right to me. I love it.

David...you are exactly correct about the red molding (I call it a red "stripe"), but of course, you already knew that!.

Revell did not include the red stripe, but they did include an excellent decal for the "Plymouth" badge that lies at the end of the right edge of the red stripe when viewed from the front (that would be, the far left side of the driver's side grille insert). They also did not raise the grille surface where the red stripe lies, so you can't effectively "drybrush" it either.

I've already completed a second build of this kit for a different assignment, and on that one I was able to figure a way to do the pinstripe, but in silver instead of the correct red.

For those of you now familiar with David's point, this red pinstripe is exceptionally thin, and that makes it really, really difficult to replicate in 1/25th scale and then apply in a straight line to a deeply recessed grille surface

I'll bet someone in the aftermarket figures out a solution, but right now it's an open challenge to all you modelers out there! Hmm....maybe I could paint the entire recessed grille surface red first, then fill in the rest of the grille with hand-brushed flat black, leaving the horizontal red stripe in the middle?

Best...TIM

Tim thanks for your input as I haven't received my Kit yet. I hope I will get it this week. I was looking at a Reliable Resin front grill bumper assembly I bought a few years back. It has a separate grill insert that you would paint black and it does have a raised section for the stripe/moulding down the center of each side. Since I don't have the Revell kit yet I have been using the body etc to test items like doing the side molding on the side etc. I never built the resin conversion that I bought from them. Looking at that front grill assembly this afternoon and using an Evergreen strip that comes as .25mm x .5mm it looks like that would be about the right size for the red stripe. I may try adding that on both sides. I don't know if it will work or not.

My MPC '70 annual Cuda is in storage, so I'm not sure how the grille is molded on it...IIRC, there was a separate insert, but I don't recall if it has the raised stripe section or not.

I just checked mine, the '70 'cuda MPC kit has a separate grille insert that is inserted from behind the remainder of the grille assembly. It does have the red pinstripe element engraved, slightly proud of the remaining grille surface.

You'd have to be a pretty gifted modeler to lay a consistent line of red paint along that engraved element. We're probably talking a width of 1/64" at the max. Or else find - or cut - some really, really thin pinstriping tape.

Overall I think the Revell grille casting is more accurate, but the red line element does remain a detail to be added somehow.

Good discussion and input from everyone on this one, thanks guys! TIM

Looking at that front grill assembly this afternoon and using an Evergreen strip that comes as .25mm x .5mm it looks like that would be about the right size for the red stripe. I may try adding that on both sides. I don't know if it will work or not.

Dave...be sure and let us know if that works! Thanks..TIM

YES ! Clear-red tail lamps , but with separately-cast clear back-up lamps !

( I hope that you're reading this , Kevin :) ...)

Why even bother with clear red ??? I wish all of kit makers would just cast their taillights in clear plastic. I can make a clear part red or amber, I can't make a clear red part anything other than red.