Model Cars Magazine Forum

I found this at the forum on Hanks, and thought I would share it. I copied some of the info the poster had shared.

Back in the days when cabovers roamed the earth and conventionals were few, many of the Great Lakes and northeast region steel haulers ran the long nose tractors. Quite often they were daycabs, but those that wanted sleeping accommodations often opted for a Rest Rite. These were made just east of Pittsburgh in Murrysville by the Artman Company, and in later years a few miles further east on US22 in Delmont. They were distinguished by their camper style awning windows, and often had just an unpainted aluminum finish. They were actually early innovators in aftermarket walk-ins, though I believe they were only 48" deep.

Back in the early seventies when you ordered a International, White Road Boss or Western Star and Mack they never built their own bunks but relied on afterbunk manufactures like Mercury, also so many of these bunks were dealer installed relying on local bunk manufactures. Dealers would order in daycab units for stock then if a bunk was required to make the sale they would build this into the selling price.

RR01.jpg

RR02.jpg

RR03.jpg

• 2 weeks later...