Model Cars Magazine Forum

Highly Detailed GENERAL LEE.... finally done...!1yr and 6 days

mopar01lee

Ok i know the general lee has been done over an over ... But im a big general fan, well its my dream car .. so untill i get one im going to build the most detailed general lee as i possibly can . B)

im starting with a Revell 68 charger w/added 69 grill an tail panel, resin vector wheels by JBhobbies , cb antanna by m0parman, mulity piece wipers , hose clamps , seat belt hardware, engine accesories brackets, 69 charger detail scriped set all by MCG, pluse more when i order . also a rear leaf spring kit by M.A.S .. lost an lots of PE stuff. oh an decals of LEE1 by hazardusdecals.... :D

there will be more things added as i go possible Ross Gibbson 440,. e brake cables , full fuel lines , brake lines . well you get the idea im goin for .. B):D

It will also be wired an scrached built peices were needed .. this will be a long build since ive never used any photo etched stuff before .. but thats modeling to do better than before... heres some pics of the parts list so far..

comments and any help with PE welcome ..

IMAG0086.jpg

IMAG0085.jpg

IMAG0088.jpg

IMAG0083.jpg

thanks for lookin and enjoy...... as i atempt to build this detailed general lee..

Later Days ...Davin ;)

Edited by mopar01lee

I was trying to figure out why you were starting with the 68 kit instead of the 69 kit, and I think I figured it out! You're taking the easy way out with sanding the 69's roof, aren't you!?!? :D Are the front and rear panels from the 69 kit, though? If so, I just might have to pick a 68 kit up and take the easy way out, too! :lol: I've at least had the idea of a General, but not this detailed, since the Revell 69 kit first came out all those years ago.

I was trying to figure out why you were starting with the 68 kit instead of the 69 kit, and I think I figured it out! You're taking the easy way out with sanding the 69's roof, aren't you!?!? :D Are the front and rear panels from the 69 kit, though? If so, I just might have to pick a 68 kit up and take the easy way out, too! :lol: I've at least had the idea of a General, but not this detailed, since the Revell 69 kit first came out all those years ago.

bro your right im going the easy way .. an there are no side marker light on the 68 body there decals so its an easy swap...an yes the grill an tail if thats what ur refering too is off the 69 kit an they fit like a glove

Edited by mopar01lee

bro your right im going the easy way .. an there are no side marker light on the 68 body there decals so its an easy swap...an yes the grill an tail if thats what ur refering too is off the 69 kit an they fit like a glove

Thanks for the info, that's been one thing keeping me from making the General from one of mine, all that sanding! :D

haha, i was about to say isnt it a 69?? nice idea on using the 68. im no mopar guy, so this info is handy. i too want to build a general lee one day. it's a childhood fav, corny now adays..lols but i still like it. i have the mpc general lee and man was i disapointed in how lame the kit is.

well enough of me :D ill be waiting for more.

Sounds like this is going to be a really cool build. One question though. Are you using more photo etch parts than parts in the kit? I think that would be cool.

thanks .. an if i can replace it with PE or resin or sratch build it it will be done .. i still have to order a lot more PE stuff .. aka battery hardware, carb linkage, an so on... so im hopin.. lol :lol::D:lol::D

Edited by mopar01lee

This is going to be great build! ...And expensive... Those Photo etch parts are looking good, and I'm sure that this one will be amazing looking model, when it gets finished. Great subject too, I like how General Lee looks. B)

Guest Sickfish

G'day Davin! Great project mate  The General would have to be every guy, approaching or already 40yo, favorite car . It's the sole reason I'm a HUGE Mopar fan  & like you, my ultimate dream car is a '68/69 R/T Charger ( Hemi of course  ) It was THEE most popular TV/Movie car of all time & was voted, by Hot Rod Magazine, as THEE most influential car/hotrod of all time, a few years back ! In saying all that it look's like you've got all your ingredients, with more to come , for building exactly what you've said, a super-detailed General Lee  I myself have built many Generals over the years & will still build a few more, including my 1:16 scale General. Like every great meal, it's all in the preparation... The result should be a tasty, tasty meal . Looking forward to your progress mate, good luck & remember ... Patience is a virtue 

Cliffo 

Sickfish.. shes my reason for my love of mopars as well. an i to will do one of the 2 1/16th generals i have .. though 1 will never be built as it the 81 sealed kit..lol B)

lrlocke01..nice general.....

well im gonna start this today .. i orderded more PE stuff from MCG lastnight .. carb linkage, door lock hardware, wire looms ,and battery hardware,, lol :D:P

oh an the doors will open on this as my reserch has proved that hollywood did not in fact weld the doors shut it was just in the scriped .. this info can be found on the net ...by some that had a hand in restoring the very first general a,k,a LEE1.

later days general lee fans ,, Davin

Edited by mopar01lee

Actually shoddy workmanship could make it more true to the 1:1 Lees :lol:

Details like missing dash trim and console top covers seem a common theme on interior shots when watching the show

Plenty of weathering as well- when the show was running these were "built" from 10-15 year old beater used cars when cars were normally worn out well before that

Edited by ChrisPflug

Aright here goes the build... got a lill done . starterd cutting the grill out for the PE one ....

IMAG0089.jpg

grills cut out and chrome stripped off it an the rear bumper.

IMAG0092.jpg

IMAG0096.jpg

I also got the doors an the trunk lid cut off. an will be hinged soon.

IMAG0094.jpg

IMAG0091.jpg

IMAG0093.jpg

today im workin on that M.A.S rear leaf spring kit ......stay tunned

Later Days ..Davin

Edited by mopar01lee

So here goes the M.A.S rear leaf spring kit .. the first side i did went fairly smooth ... but the other side kicked my butt it did not want to pin together for nothing but i got after a few hrs of fighting it ... lol :)

in this first shot you may notice a piece of the frame missing in front of the forward spring pertch.. i had to do this cuz i had to modifie the leaf spring so they would resemble the kits springs .. an to center the axle.. but i will replace the missing frame just a bit further forward...

IMAG0098.jpg

IMAG0099.jpg

IMAG0097.jpg

now heres a few shots of both springs done ...

IMAG0102.jpg

IMAG0100.jpg

IMAG0101.jpg

and one pic on the rear axle...

IMAG0104.jpg

if you look closly you can see a hole twored the middle of the springs that was the origanal holes an the true center line .. i made holes about 1/4 of an inch forward so it looks like the kit springs..

later days ...Davin enjoy

Guest Sickfish

That rear-leaf kit look's pretty cool Davin  It's the first time I've actually heard of/seen it. I've previously made my own out of styrene ( easy to work with I guess?) In your opinion, are they thick enough to replicate, in scale, the leafs?? Will you be using nuts/bolts/U-bolts to clamp them down? Protech sells them in plenty of scales, perfect for replicating them all  I wouldn't mind getting a few of the MAS PE leaf-spring sets, if you can recommend them?? What about coil-over springs? Much thought about scratch-building or purchasing some?? I'm about to order some myself, from RBMotion. Robert makes them in 3 sizes, I believe the 11.2mm springs would suit the Charger perfectly 

Cheers & keep up the good work mate, Cliffo 

That rear-leaf kit look's pretty cool Davin  It's the first time I've actually heard of/seen it. I've previously made my own out of styrene ( easy to work with I guess?) In your opinion, are they thick enough to replicate, in scale, the leafs?? Will you be using nuts/bolts/U-bolts to clamp them down? Protech sells them in plenty of scales, perfect for replicating them all  I wouldn't mind getting a few of the MAS PE leaf-spring sets, if you can recommend them?? What about coil-over springs? Much thought about scratch-building or purchasing some?? I'm about to order some myself, from RBMotion. Robert makes them in 3 sizes, I believe the 11.2mm springs would suit the Charger perfectly 

Cheers & keep up the good work mate, Cliffo 

thanks .. yeah this may be a lill $$$$$$ in it but ...lol

sickfish ..... i feel the leaf kit is just right for scale .. he does 2 styles short an long . this one is the long kit an come with everything you need .. wire for the u bolts, pins and around 20 or so PE bolt heads an 2 sizes of aluminum tube for the spring bushings an if some left to make a pair of shocks.. this kit is designed to be fully functional, but i will look in to those coil overs ....

this kit was 20.00 shipped an it shipped fast .... i would recommend it .im gonnna get a few more for a 4x4 build ..

later days ..Davin

Edited by mopar01lee