Model Cars Magazine Forum

Beswicks Passionate Poncho

gtx6970

I actually started this one early last year. While on a painting bing I painted nearly a dozen bodies for winter projects. This is one of them.

Body is done in a Duplicolor rattle can dark blue metallic with a Upol rattle can urethane clear top coat. Decals are from Slixx.

Interior was an absolute bear to do with all the details and colors required. I'm not 100% happy with the int, but not disappointed enough to take it apart for a redo. On my shelf it looks fantastic.

Built for the most part right out of the box ( tires are parts box pieces because I have no idea what happend to the originals ).

It has some mistakes, Like the firewall should be body color and the center band in the seats should be nearly white. I already have another 1962 Catalina planned, so on it I'll know.

Comments good and bad always welcome.

Enjoy, I know I did

catalina1.JPG

catalina2.JPG

catalina3.JPG

catalina4.JPG

catalina5.JPG

Edited by gtx6970

Looks good Bill! I love the 60's era stockers. I'm in the late stages of building the same kit and was wondering if you had any surprises during final assembly?

Not really, I feel the multipiece suspension assy is a bit tricky to get right . Next one I'll probably superglue some of it in place to make for a more solid foundation to glue some of the smaller pieces off of .

Make sure you follow the instructions pretty close. I didn't and had the frame assembled to the floorpan then realized the exhaust headpipes had to go in( that was fun) . Next one I may just cut it off at the manifold and leave the exhuast off all together.

Also, I'm not 100% sure the actual car had those funky looking spears on the tops of the ft fenders .

Also don't make the same mistake I did. Thinking it was mold lines, I sanded the edge on top of the rear quarter panel thats supposed to be chrome trim. Next one I may add some strip styrene to it for more definition.

And the next one is going to be the 7-11 Packer Pontiac.(once several other started projects are out of the way)

1961_f6.jpgIt sure did have the spears, or whatever you want to call them on the fenders. I built this model a few years ago, but I'm not going to take over your post and post a pic of mine. I think you did a great job on yours! The interior looks great from what I can see. And, yes the rear suspension was a bear to work on...especially to get everything to line up and sit right. Notice in the picture....the rear part of the hood is canted up.

It sure did have the spears, or whatever you want to call them on the fenders. I built this model a few years ago, but I'm not going to take over your post and post a pic of mine. I think you did a great job on yours! The interior looks great from what I can see. And, yes the rear suspension was a bear to work on...especially to get everything to line up and sit right. Notice in the picture....the rear part of the hood is canted up.

Many thanks for the confirmation. I had not see that picture before.The ones I have are more from a rearward angle and I couldn't make out if it had the spears or not. Glad I put them on now.

And thanks to all.

I actually dropped it as I was setting up to take these pictures so it did spend some back on the bench before it made it to my dispaly cabinet (thats why in the pictures there is no battery in the engine compartment)

Edited by gtx6970

How do you like the Upol clear? Is it over your decals?

I like it a lot. I hasn't been sanded and or polished . So it doesn't have that super slick foot deep look to it .

But I think it could be if I really wanted to slick it up. But I don't .

And yes it is over the decals . I 'think ' there are 2 coats color,1 coat clear, decals then 2 coats clear. All over the course of about a week .This was done last spring. And I just dug the body back out of the dispaly case and assembled the rest of it over the past 2 weeks If you run your finger nail over the edges of the decals you can feel them,, but just barely.