Model Cars Magazine Forum

'91 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP build with a twist (updated 1/16/13)

brodie_83

Well folks, I was bored with a few of my builds that I never seem to finish, so I decided to start on the Revell '91 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP I had sitting in the closet. I did have the turbo GP kit, but I traded that off. This is NOT going to be a stock model...

Here's the kit I'm building

2013-01-11_13-51-10_914.jpg

The lines in the ground effects/bumpers will be filled so everything is smooth

2013-01-11_13-52-23_904.jpg

2013-01-11_13-52-30_817.jpg

I'm going to look for a louver-less hood to trade for my louvered one so I can make my own custom scoop(s)

2013-01-11_13-52-55_997.jpg

All of the engine bay will be cut out except for the radiator support (I'm keeping what's going in place of it a surprise)

2013-01-11_13-55-54_63.jpg

And the 3.4 DOHC engine will NOT be used in this build....I'm thinking I'll swap it into one of the two Fieros I'm getting in trades (a very popular swap in the real cars these days)

2013-01-11_14-09-00_925.jpg

The interior will be pretty stock except for the color scheme. As for what color I'm going to paint, I'm not sure. I'm kinda bouncing ideas off myself, like a white with blue racing stripes like the Anniversary T/A cars have, or flat black, or...I don't know really. If you want to see where this is going, please subscribe and I'll update this as soon as I get work done on it. Thanks for looking!

-Brodie

Edited by brodie_83

Well I already filled the grooves in the ground effects and bumpers, also sanded down the meeting lines where the front/rear parts of the front seats attach, layed down another layer of Plastiweld and filled a little hole by one of the bolsters. Those parts are in the dehumidifier to dry. After the seats are dry, I'll go over the sides with wet sandpaper and shoot them with primer. Now what to work on? Probably work on the chassis and suspension.

2013-01-11_15-55-10_466.jpg

2013-01-11_15-24-00_784.jpg

Edited by brodie_83

I've had this kit for years and I've been having an itch to build something different...I saw this and thought "what the heck" and grabbed it out of the closet and started right away!

Ok, I'm in the middle of painting the interior parts (bucket, front seats, dash, door panels) and I'm using Duplicolor's Vinyl & Fabric Coating in charcoal gray. The factory color was a tad bit darker than this, but it'll fly. Stuff covers really well! I like it. I've used it before on an 80's Celica Supra kit and worked really great! I don't have pics of the interior parts yet, as they are still being painted, but here's a few options I've found for wheel choices. The 5-spoke wheels are from a '98 Firebird T/A kit and look exactly like the 1994-96 Grand Prix wheels.

2013-01-11_18-08-56_741.jpg

2013-01-11_18-09-14_580.jpg

2013-01-11_18-10-03_379.jpg

Edited by brodie_83

Got a few pics of the interior. I really like how it came out! The sheen of the paint looks just like brand new leather. Not sure what I'm going to do with 2-tone colors, but I'll get to that some other time. Right now I'm just going to put these parts in the dehumidifier and let them cure. I gotta put one more coat of paint on the dash, then they'll be done. I'll do some of the detail work tomorrow. I think I'm going to quit for the night...I inhaled wayyyyy too much paint fumes. LoL!

2013-01-11_18-41-30_208.jpg

2013-01-11_18-43-00_779.jpg

2013-01-11_18-43-15_548.jpg

2013-01-11_18-43-38_792.jpg

2013-01-11_18-43-49_198.jpg

Edited by brodie_83

Lawrence, absolutely! You find an SE flat hood and you've got yourself a louvered hood! So far I concur...this kit is VERY underrated. Very detailed and those details are very crisp. I used Duplicolor interior paint and t is he color is charcoal gray.

Man, that interior looks good! What did you mix to make the flocking, it looks great!

And I agree on the Dupli-Color Fabric and Interior paints, I've been using them since they came out, they're great stuff! Charcoal Gray, Desert Sand, and Black are the best, the other colors tend to be a bit too glossy to be realistic looking.

Thanks everyone for the kind words! I fixed the rest of the pics, so now you can see beginning to where it is now. Mike, I used Kens Kustom Fuzzi-Fur. It's a little longer fibers than I'd like, but it still looks fantastic!Thanks Kevin, PM'd you back!

Edited by brodie_83

I dry-assembled the doors/dash to see what it looks like...looks amazing! I'm very pleased with how it came out! I also painted across the middle of the dash and around the gauges black. It's not accurate, but it makes breaks up the dash and makes it look more realistic. I'm not too crazy about the digital gauge layout, so im going to see if I can find a pic of the gauge layout and print it out in scale.

2013-01-13_21-29-55_845.jpg

2013-01-13_21-30-07_83.jpg

Edited by brodie_83

Did a lil bit of work since im home with a sprained ankle. Found a gauge decal from a 98 Firebird that was pretty close so i used that and now I'm filling in the gauge area with Future floor polish. I'll give it a good 3 coats just to fill it in. I think it came out pretty good...not perfect, but no model ever is. I also painted the buttons around the gauge pod and the glove compartment combination lock parts as well.

2013-01-14_15-04-59_742.jpg

Thank you! It really is a great kit! Its fairly simple to assemble and detail, and it looks so good! These are one of my favorite 90's cars of all time! I had a black '92 GTP with the 210hp 3.4 V6 and a 5-speed manual trans...when it was running well, that thing screamed!