Model Cars Magazine Forum

My first garage DIO

rustymodeler

Hey guys, I have been wanting to do some kind of diorama for along time now and wasnt sure what I wanted to do, so I decided to build a garage. I have never done anything like this before and was not sure where to start so I researched framing garages and found alot od good stuff. It would be completely difficult to frame it just like the professionals do, but I think it turned out pretty good. I am going to try to put balso wood on the sides and find something to use as siding. If anyone has any ideas I could use for the siding please help me out here. 2012-09-05_16-55-24_683.jpg2012-09-05_16-55-42_540_Kearney.jpg2012-09-05_16-55-54_976.jpg

Evergreen makes some styrene clapboard that looks pretty good. You might want to try that.

I believe Northeastern and Kappler Scale Lumber also offer individual bass or balsa clapboards.

Grandt Line and Northeastern have windows that will work, or you can scratch them.

Charlie Larkin

Ok, heres what I have done so far. I got some sheets of balsa wood to act as plywood and glued to the side. And than I got some smaller strip1/16 x 1/4 balsa wood and I am going to glue to the plywood and stack to look like siding. That will be a project I will have to tackle tomorrow.I am not happy with the door, but it will probably change once I get everything else taken care of.2012-09-06_21-00-17_123_Kearney.jpg2012-09-06_20-59-01_182_Kearney.jpg2012-09-04_20-06-48_933_Kearney.jpg2012-09-06_19-01-50_512_Kearney.jpg

Ok I have been puting alot of time into this and this is what I have came up with. I use 1/16 x 1/4 strips of balsa wood for the siding. I really glues up nicely and turned out alot better than I thought it would. I also started on the roof and am pretty happy with it so far too. If I would have known this was going to be this fun I would have started doing it along time ago.2012-09-08_17-44-52_695_Kearney.jpg2012-09-09_00-04-12_613.jpg2012-09-09_00-04-50_240_Kearney.jpg2012-09-09_00-06-14_903.jpg

Thanks guys. I really thought putting one strip at a time would be a pain also, but its not really that bad. I am using Gorilla wood glue which sets up really fast so it makes for pretty fast results. If anyone has any ideas how to make a roll up garage door please let me know. I know it sounds difficult, but there has to be a way.

.................... If anyone has any ideas how to make a roll up garage door please let me know. I know it sounds difficult, but there has to be a way.

The roll top desks have some sort of heavy material backing and strips of wood fastened to it. I have not seen one apart to know how they wind up...but maybe you could adapt that idea to yours?

Roll top desks use a couple of thin canvas strips glued to the back of the wood strips ans slide up in a groove cut into the side panels of the desk. These type of doors aren't really suitable for model garage doors but the basic principle might work at a pinch?

I suggest you check out http://www.modeljunkyard.com and subscribe to their blog. Their latest posts include an article on how to make realistic panelled overhead garage doors. It's a great blog and it's free!

Tony

Edited by GTMust

I've been considering a building similar, in that I was planning the same type siding application, so I was quite anxious to see how yours turned out. Looks good, but I'm wondering about the width-size slats (6" scale). They lend themselves quite well to either a vintage building that used the more narrow slats or a contemporary garage - would look fantastic whether weathered or painted. Still, did you at any point wonder if you should have gone a bit wider?

Really nice job.

You could buy the 1/16 x 4" x 36" sheets and cut the strips yourself. That's what I did for my Thomasville hardware store and the rural gas stop and it works out a lot cheaper than buying the strips (Check out my threads on this board. Mine were 1/32 scale so I used 1/32" sheets instead.)

Hope this helps.

Tony

I finally got the front and rear of the peak up and put siding on. I have alot to do to get rid of all the gaps in the siding. I am also going to extend the front and rear of the roof out more and add soffet and facia (not sure if thats how you spell it, but oh well). I had also added 2 more windows on second photo. My ferret (Willy) convinced me that I really need to get a garage door on to keep the varments out.2012-09-10_19-35-04_440.jpg2012-09-10_19-33-15_18.jpg2012-09-10_19-31-43_833.jpg

I've been considering a building similar, in that I was planning the same type siding application, so I was quite anxious to see how yours turned out. Looks good, but I'm wondering about the width-size slats (6" scale). They lend themselves quite well to either a vintage building that used the more narrow slats or a contemporary garage - would look fantastic whether weathered or painted. Still, did you at any point wonder if you should have gone a bit wider?

Really nice job.

Yes I do wonder if I should have gone wider, and I also wonder if I should have gone a little smaller in size, and if I should have made my peak shorter and I am still kicking myself in the butt for not putting a side door on. This is my first diorama ever, and as fun as this one is I will be definately be building another one more up to scale and planning ahead a little better than I did this one. This build was kind of just off the top of my head winging it kind of project.