Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 FM Ko-Motion Corvette

Mike77

Mike, when you say you 'did' this one, what did you do? I'm not familiar with this diecast.

BTW, I used to watch Joel burn in the slicks (12"-not what the model has) after test tunes with open headers and hit two gears on Sunrise Highway before Chas picked it up.

Great time.... :rolleyes:

The base car was a Franklin Mint red 1/12-scale fiberglass 1967 Corvette roadster. The paint is Marlboro Maroon and it was done by a good friend of mine in Australia. He does outstanding work and my paint skills aren't even close to his so I knew he was the guy for the job. After I disassembled the car I shipped everything that needed paint to him. In the mean time Alan at Whoopie Kat Decals upsized a set of 1/25 Ko-Motion decals to 1/12-scale. My friend painted the body parts and shipped them back to me, at which point I applied the decals and shipped everything back to Australia for clear coating. In addition to the cost of having to ship a 1/12 fiberglass Corvette body and parts to Australia twice, we were both nervous about any potential shipping damage, but everything turned out fine. I got the resin Cragar S/S wheels from Casey and had them chromed. The valve covers were originally orange and needed chroming as well. I added headers from a Monogram 1/12 '67 Vette kit and hooked them up to the sidepipes. I wanted the letters/numbers on the rear window to be as authentic as possible. I found a decent online photo of the ones on the real Ko-Motion, printed it off in the correct scale, taped it to the inside of the rear window, and traced everything on the outside of the window with real white shoe polish.

Everything was a lot more work than I've outlined here, but you get the idea. The car made a third and final trip to Australia last year and now resides in my friend's extensive Corvette model collection.

gallery_11866_1019_151089.jpggallery_11866_1019_92897.jpggallery_11866_1019_53000.jpggallery_11866_1019_324796.jpggallery_11866_1019_226179.jpggallery_11866_1019_325519.jpggallery_11866_1019_149383.jpggallery_11866_1019_219065.jpggallery_11866_1019_220782.jpg