Model Cars Magazine Forum

Highs and lows

I thought this was kinda funny. I bought two Polar Lights Petty Torino's from Tower Hobbies back in November and one ended up being on back order. It was shipped about a week after the first kit. When it arrived here at my house, I never opened the outer shipping box. It just got set to the side. Yesterday I figured I better open it and put the kit with the rest of the other kits and when I opened it, it wasn't a Polar Lights Petty Torino, it was the AMT Vette Magazine two car kit!!!! I thought, hey that's pretty cool, two kits instead of just one!!!!! Then I saw that they were curbsides! :( Oh well, I may just trade this kit for something else. Does anyone else have this kit? If so, what do you think of it? Are the cars really detailed other than being curbsides? I'm leaving it sealed in case I want to trade it.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=amt+vette+magazine&hl=en&sa=X&tbo=d&biw=1024&bih=571&tbm=isch&tbnid=451gNNFnVzwE8M:&imgrefurl=http://round2models.com/models/amt/vette-magazine-kit&docid=TfSWxaDVGJ9ieM&imgurl=http://round2models.com/images/models/amt786/product.jpg&w=350&h=300&ei=U9vmUPScA-TI2wWC-YGICw&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=140&sig=116305149286072071297&page=1&tbnh=142&tbnw=176&start=0&ndsp=16&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i:90&tx=124&ty=86

I guess it all depends on how much you like Corvettes. I wouldn't expect any movement out of Revell on the current (last issued as the '10 ZR-1) tool because they're more than likely going to issue the next Gen Vette that comes in 2014.

The Craftsman kits are basically unassembled promos. I have the Camaro Convertible (since it's the only way to get one) and it's a nice 50 part curbside kit that should build up into a nice shelf model.

So like I said do you want to build a pair of '12 Vettes? You could probably get them both done over a weekend, it save them as quick slump busters. Otherwise trade-bait they be I imagine...

If those are anything like the AMT Dodge Challenger R/T and SRT kits, they will go together nicely. I try and sell those and the few old school Craftsman kits still in circulation as good intermediate kits that will be a nice next step up from a SnapTite kit and help teach painting and glueing, but won't be as complicated or possibly overwelming as a full detail glue kit.

They are the same kits that have been used to do the C6 Corvette promos over the last few years. I don't consider the kit to be quite as good as the Revell curbside cv, ex they have the vinyl seats, but that's not to say they're bad kits. As has been suggested they are great kits to do up as a slump buster and they won't look bad on your shelf either. They'll go together with no problems and would be a fun project for an unusual paint colour.

I wasn't aware that Round2 had put out this package until I ran across it in my LHS, the owner had only brough one in knowing that I was a sucker for any Vette kit.