Model Cars Magazine Forum

1911 Buick Model 14 "Buggyabout" FINISHED!

Harry P.

Considering how "simple" these old brass era engines were, I think this is the best, most realistic engine I've seen in any modeling category. Unbelievable.

Thanks, Skip. The simple engine is exactly why I decided to go with all the added details. It just looked so empty under the hood! And besides, I found some fantastic engine shots online, from virtually every angle, of a restored Model 14 that was for sale at the Volo Museum (a local collector car museum/showroom). Those photos made adding the details pretty easy.

I got the lower body and floorboards installed. The body is painted Rustoleum "Ivory." The "rubber" on the floorboards is masking tape painted with acrylic black craft paint, while the "brass" strips on the floorboards are gold BMF. The brass rub strips on the edges of the body sides are real brass... self-adhesive brass tape I found online (it's used in making stained glass art)... it's actual brass, not just brass-colored, about as thick as aluminum duct tape.

The "wood" steering wheel rim was created the same way as the wheels... first brush painted acrylic "Ochre," then Varathane Warm Mahogany stain (this time brush painted instead of dipped like the wheels, because I had to keep the spokes brass colored). The foot pedals were painted metallic silver, then transparent black window tint to bring out the ribbed surfaces.

floorboards_zpsfe71e54a.jpg

I think it's absolutely ridiculous to have to post this work in progress in a weird "Big Boyz" thread where many members will miss it and be able to comment on it. There is zero need for a "Big Boyz" thread and it should be abolished, and be incorporated into the general Workbench and under Glass topics. But, just like the many people who think there should be a simple "Competition" category instead of NASCAR, Drag Cars, etc., that would include all racing genres, I know that this thought will go totally ignored.

Edited by sjordan2

harry, I notice you seem to use a lot of Rustoleum paint with great results. I have never had good luck with them or Krylon for that matter. Is there a certain formula of the Rustoleum you use. Thanks.

Nothing special. Shake, point, spray.

When I can get a 12 ounce can of Rustoleum at the local home center for $3.44, vs. $6-7 for a 3 ounce can of "model paint," well... my decision is obvious. Of course, I realize that sometimes you need a specific color that is only available in "model paint," but for me, building these old brass-era cars, I don't need to be all that fussy about perfectly matching any specific factory color... so when I can find the color I want in Rustoleum, that's what I'll buy.

This is the specific stuff I use. It costs $3.44 at Menards (a regional midwest-area home center, like Home Depot or Lowes)...

249114_1z_zps3275cdb4.jpg

I think it's absolutely ridiculous to have to post this work in progress in a weird "Big Boyz" thread where many members will miss it and be able to comment on it. There is zero need for a "Big Boyz" thread and it should be abolished, and be incorporated into the general Workbench and under Glass topics. But, just like the many people who think there should be a simple "Competition" category instead of NASCAR, Drag Cars, etc., that would include all racing genres, I know that this thought will go totally ignored.

Not ignored. Just can't do anything about it.