Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 Mustang "quarter Horse"

I am thinking about building the Quarter Horse Mustang from 1970. I have pictures of the body so that is not a problem. I would like detailed reference pictures of the interior. Anyone??

Another possible project would be the mid engine Boss 429 from 1969.

Roger

The Quarter Horse was called that because it was a mix of 4 different cars.

1. Cougar interior.

2. Shelby hood and front fenders.

3. Mustang body.

4. Boss 429 engine... (I think...)

The design exercise never got beyond two prototypes which were probably destroyed when the plug was pulled.

The hood was supposed to be smooth, more like a '71 Mustang with no scoops or vents.

The front fenders and grille were lifted directly from Shelby stock.

Wheels are Magnum 500's.

Mustang Monthly had a short 1/4 page story a few years ago with a bit of information but nothing new other than a picture of a rusty hulk that they thought was one of the prototypes.

I did an illustration couple of years ago with what I thought graphics might have looked like....

quarterhorse-vi.jpg

:o

The Dash, is the only thing Cougar, in the interior. The hood has scoops, they are just not cut out.

One of the 2 had a Boss 429, one had a SOHC 427. BOTH prototypes are still in existance, alive and well!! I have one I had started, and plan to get back to around the first of next year. HTH's

100_0482.jpg

quarterhorse_01.jpg

I already know that its only the dash that is from the Cougar, there is an full page article in the book "Boss 429 Performance Mustang Style" by Stephen B. Strange. The red car had the 429 SCJ engine and the blue car originally had the Boss 429 engine but was later fitted with the SCJ engine. The same car was also used in the television series "Dan August" from 1971 starring Burt Reynolds.

What I can't find out is wich doorpanel to use. The standard or molded panels with wood inserts?

The horse in the grille shall be placed in the center.