Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hawk 1970 Ford Torino GT

highway

I got this for a Christmas gift from my fiancee this past Christmas, but have been unable to do much due to a wrist injury and just before Christmas breaking a vertebrae in my back. I finally had a decent day a few days ago that I could stand to sit at the kitchen table and finally assemble it. I didn't do anything special to it, because of the current health problems and past problems leaving all my modeling supplies at this point still at a friend's house and I haven't been able to get them to the new house yet, so I didn't use any paint, glue, or even tools (with the exception of a screwdriver for the 4 screws) to work on this. It was truly a "Back to Basics" build for me, reminding me of the days when I was a kid breaking parts of the sprue and not worrying about seams or sprue attachment points. Of course, after things smooth out, I plan on a complete disassemble and rebuild. I was surprised, after building a few of this style kits, this has been the only one that did not require any glue at all, everything fit and snapped together tightly, with the exception of the driver's side tailpipe. It will need a little reshaping, as it looks as if a hanger has rusted off it. Anyway, enough rambling, on to the pics! :D

HPIM4592_zps76752ae9.jpg

HPIM4593_zps1c00d38c.jpg

The sparkplug wiring is included in the kit.

HPIM4594_zpsff1e95a3.jpg

HPIM4595_zpsf748b2d5.jpg

The taillight panel comes pretinted red.

HPIM4596_zps1e6cddb3.jpg

The only fit issue in the whole kit, the hanging driver's side tailpipe. Someone's off to the muffler shop!! :lol:

HPIM4597_zpsf0ae0625.jpg

Looks pretty good but I think it could benefit from some under the hood detail painting.

Yep, coming in the rebuild. :D I have a wrist injury and a broken back at the moment, and due to some problems in Dec 2011 all my model supplies are stored at a friend's house until things get sorted out. It was just nice enough being able to work on something, which I hadn't done since Dec 2011!

Yep, coming in the rebuild. :D I have a wrist injury and a broken back at the moment, and due to some problems in Dec 2011 all my model supplies are stored at a friend's house until things get sorted out. It was just nice enough being able to work on something, which I hadn't done since Dec 2011!

I hope you will heal up fine and be able to enjoy your hobby more.

• 3 weeks later...

Always liked the styling of the '70-'71 Torino. Bet it felt good to build something. Every once in a while I'll build a diecast kit like that, as most go together pretty easily, and with a little detail painting, they can make for a satisfying modeling experience.

Looks good in orange. I built this kit also, but in yellow with a white/black interior and usual paint details. I think this kit's origins are from Classic Motor Works. You should enjoy detailing this kit.

IMG_0018-1_zpse7190145.jpg

I never took pictures of the interior or under the hood but it is painted.

Edited by THarrison351