Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Pontiac GTO Judge Is Completed

mrmike

Thanks guys! Shane, I hope you can get a good day soon!

All quiet in the house this morning with the wife still asleep, so I grabbed a cup of hazelnut coffee and locked myself in the hobby room for a painting session. I painted the interior, chassis, and wheel backs with Krylon Satin Black.

Judge16.jpg

Then I painted the hood and body with Model Master No. 28108 Hugger Orange. The body and hood came out great with very, very little trash in the paint.

Judge17.jpg

Judge18.jpg

I am deciding on whether to use redline decals or Shabo lettering on the tires.

Here Comes Da Judge...

This is going to be a lot of fun to follow , Mike .

One of my preschool friend's parents had a '69 Judge (bought it new ; I first saw the car in '73) in white with black interior , column auto !

Isn't Huggar Orange the same as Orbit Orange / Carousel Red ?

Hugger Orange and Carousel Red are the same color. Orbit Orange(offered '70-'71 only) is a lighter yellow/orange shade(see my avatar)...a very sought after Judge color especially if original color to the car. Very few if any '71's were painted in Orbit Orange.

Either Purple Power has changed their formula or the chrome plating is really thick on these wheels. This is after 20 hours in the pond and only half of the plating is gone.

Judge12.jpg

Here Comes The Judge...

I keep a couple of the 8 OZ juice bottles you can get bundled together at the grocery store washed out and laying around. Seems that, if I have the same issue and I put the parts and degreaser in the bottle with the lid, it works a lot faster. Maybe it traps the fumes or something. I don't know the scientific reason, I just know it works for me.

Edited by Skydime

Thanks guys! I think the wheels had a thick coating of chrome plating on them which made it tougher to remove. If you look at the wheels, they looked gorgeous before they were stripped. That is my reasoning for the length of time needed for stripping. Moving on...

The dash is nearly finished. Just a little more detailing and the steering wheel and column.

Judge19.jpg

The interior is under construction with just the seats and dash needed for completion. The instructions called for the shifter T-handle to be painted black. Every Hurst T-shifter I have seen has been aluminium-colored and I have only seen a black T-handle once in a parts catalog and that one was felt covered.

Judge20.jpg

Judge21.jpg

Here Comes Da Judge...

Thanks Shane and Bryan!

Chassis construction is underway.

Judge22.jpg

The dash is finished and waiting to be installed into the interior bucket.

Judge23.jpg

The wheels and tires have been assembled with parts box redline decals for the tires.

Judge24.jpg

Here Comes Da Judge...

Hugger Orange and Carousel Red are the same color. Orbit Orange(offered '70-'71 only) is a lighter yellow/orange shade(see my avatar)...a very sought after Judge color especially if original color to the car. Very few if any '71's were painted in Orbit Orange.

i just got done reading about a Judge painted Orbit Orange. very rare, very cool color! keep going, looking really good.

Edited by tubbs

Thanks guys! Orbit Orange is a much yellower color that stands out just as Carousel Red (Hugger Orange).

I was informed elsewhere that the steering should be all black instead of woodgrain. I did some research and found out that the wheel should be all black and I painted it accordingly!

Judge25.jpg

I I have installed the dash into the interior bucket.

Judge27.jpg

A mockup of the chassis with the wheels, tires, and the engine.

Judge26.jpg

Here Comes Da Judge...

Thanks Fred and Charlie!

I pulled the body from the paintbooth this morning since I haven't looked at it since I painted it. The paint job appears to be flawless and perhaps my best ever! I did a quick mockup with the interior and chassis. The chassis has a slight warp to it, but will disappear once I glue the chassis into the body.

Judge28.jpg

Judge29.jpg

Judge30.jpg

I even like the redline tires with this body! Even thought the body is 1/24 and the redline decals are 1/25, they still look good to me.

Here Comes Da Judge...