Model Cars Magazine Forum

After a break of about 15 years or so (I've built one model in that time period) I have decided to get back into the swing of things. This is my first attempt. It's going to be a box stock, for my pleasure only build. Nothing fancy. Just trying to see if I can still do this stuff. Updates my be a little sparse as I have to get some supplies as I go along. So please don't get upset with long update periods. I should have more than these pictures this weekend at some point in time. Yall stay tuned!

DSCN0555.jpg

DSCN0556.jpg

Edited by southernboy

The red will definitely be gone! I'm thinking a dark metallic green with a white top (the removable top). This kit so far leaves a few things to be desired. The chassis is one of those with the exhaust and such molded in. And, it looks (need to look closer) that there is no true fire wall. There may be a gap in the engine bay between the body and interior tub. It's just a basic kit. Which is what I wanted.

BTW, what got you back into the hobby?

Well, I never actually left. Just stopped building. I now have time after my daughter goes to bed (single parent) every night to do my own thing. Needed something to do with the couple hours between when she goes to bed and when I decide to. Seemed a perfect fit!

It's a Testors flat green. A military color that I don't remember the name of right off hand. I will look tonight and let you know.

Edit: Came home for lunch because I remembered there was left over pizza. It is Testors Flat Beret Green.

Edited by southernboy

Not a big update, but I did manage to finish up the interior and get the dash painted. Going to wait till after I paint the underside of the tub body colored to put the dash in. That way it won't be such a pain to tape off the tub for painting. I have to grab some more supplies so the next update may take a while. Enjoy!

DSCN0564_zps3bbef6a8.jpg

DSCN0565_zpse51fd311.jpg

DSCN0566_zpsed821627.jpg

Little bit of an update tonight. I have a rolling chassis.

DSCN0576.jpg

DSCN0578.jpg

DSCN0577.jpg

I have colors picked out. The white is for the removable top, the green for the body.

DSCN0573.jpg

DSCN0575.jpg

DSCN0574.jpg

I also have the body, hood, and top in primer. The top and hood came out smooth as glass. The body, well that's another story. It almost feels like sand paper. I did the exact same thing to all three pieces. Washed, lightly scuffed with a wet scotchbrite, washed again in clean water, then sprayed. Not sure what happened to the body, but if feels that way inside and out. So, I wet sanded tonight with some 1500 grit sand paper, very lightly. I'm going to have to shoot the body again because it burned through some of the high spots and edges. (panel edges and moldings etc.) Anywho, on to the pics.

DSCN0569.jpg

DSCN0571.jpg

DSCN0572.jpg

DSCN0570.jpg

Thanks! By the way. If anyone has any insight as to why the body feels like sandpaper after I primed it, please share.

You probably got some overspray that settled onto the paint as you were moving the body around and painting it. I have this kit also and I am trying to decide what colors to use on it. My 1:1 Ford Bronco is dark blue with a silver two-tone accents, but it's a later model that what's represented in the kit. I look forward to seeing your green, as it's one of my favorite colors for a Bronco.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

that duplicolor green is almost a bluish green! looks to have come out great i'm going to use duplicolor onn a couple mustang builds its really a gm light blue, but it was the closest I could find to ford light regatta blue..... lookin great I have a rebuilder of this kit i'm trying to figure out what color to go with