Model Cars Magazine Forum

Custom / Concept '09 Challenger SportWagon: Back on the bench, Feb.28

Ace-Garageguy

Again, thanks to all of you guys who like the looks of this thing, and for the encouragement to complete it.

So what is a splash mold?

"Splash-mold" is just a term for a Q&D mold, not good enough for production, but with sufficient data-capture to make 1 or 2 acceptable copies of a part, or of an area of a part to be incorporated into another design. In this case, I'll be making one complete copy of the original hood, modifying it extensively, and making a mold of the result. The completed part will have uniform thickness, and zero filler.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I mentioned above that I sectioned the body by removing the rocker panels and adding material to the insides of the body edges so new curved-under rockers could be formed. Then the lower door lines are scribed on the body in the new, raised locations. Here's the material added to the inside of the lower body edge, with a lip added at the top to positively locate the chassis height relative to the body.

DSCN9498_zpsdce942a3.jpg

Alignment marks insure the chassis will go in the right place to keep the wheels centered correctly in the wheel openings. You can also see how the added material has been shaped to curve under, like the original rockers did.

DSCN9506_zps8d7c8b04.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Are those the wheels you plan to use? If you're looking for something different, I'd would consider contributing something out of my wheel stash.

Please carry on with it!!!

Thanks a lot. These are probably the wheels I'll stay with, unless I go for 5-spoke Pegasus jobs. These particular Pegasus wheels have removable centers, and I'll be using a trick I picked up from another forum member, thinning the backsides of the centers so they will slip deeper into the rims, and so providing a deeper chrome lip.

• 5 months later...

Thanks for digging this one up; you must have read my mind. As soon as I finish moving, this one is next in line to complete. After all of the bodywork on Thompson's Challenger LSR car backdate, getting this one slick should be easy, and the guts will be mostly stock. Some of the materials and techniques I experimented with on the Challenger will carry over to this too...one of the problems has been keeping the scored lines in the roof sharp after doing the bodywork (they continue the molded lines that separate the center roof panel), and I've got it worked out - finally.

• 8 months later...

It's back. This is the first progress I've made on any model work since November, having been tied up with moving my home of 17 years (as well as my office, studio and 1:1 shop), health issues, and a host of other almost unbelievable problems.

I've put this one at the head of the list, because I owe a member here copies of 2 of the interim hoods I've made to get a "shaker" setup for this late-model Challenger (he graciously supplied styrene parts for me to work from, and has been very patient with all of my ongoing delays).

The pix speak for themselves. The donor for the roof, back glass and upper tailgate is the Revell Dodge Magnum kit, in case I failed to mention that before.

158_zpse8396721.jpg

155_zps49791aa1.jpg