Model Cars Magazine Forum

War Eagle AA/FC WIP

NJJeff

IMAG0803_zps967d3932.jpg

Hi folks, new to the forum, haven't tried posting a WIP before but here goes.....Started working on a project I've wanted to build for a while, a car I remember seeing at our local tracks, Dale Pulde's '77 War Eagle. I gathered some parts, a resin body, decals, etc. and I'll see how it goes. If you're a stickler for technical perfection, please look away. You'll be apalled, lol. I take a LOT of liberties with detail, to ease construction and fit. In the end if it makes me happy, I'm satisfied.

I've cleaned up most of the pieces, drilled some holes , and started painting some of the bits. I want to get it on it's wheels so I can place the engine and start on the tinwork. Hopefully, things will go smoothly.

Jeff, Very nice start!!! Nice choice!! Never saw Dale run the W.E. But saw him run many Iconic cars in the 70s. He was a well sought after shoe and one of the best! Good luck with the build! I will be watching this one for sure!! I'm with Mike do your own thing, enjoy the process. jwrass

IMAG0804_zps4f486da2.jpg

Got the front suspension in place, now I can mock up the body to check stance, fit and clearances.

IMAG0811_zps7364b8ab.jpg

I'm pleasantly surprised! Looks like it sits "right" and I guessed right when I raised the blower about an 1/8".

Next up, rear axle gets mounted.

Edited by NJJeff

Body got the big squirt today. It's the basecoat and will get either a candy gold or orange over it, which ever one I think matches my reference photos better. The color is closer to school bus yellow than it looks in the photo. Had a mess painting the underside matt black, the Tamiya paint was giving me fits and after two tries I switched to Testors and had no issues. I probably didnt soak the body long enough, but the Tamiya topcoat went on well.

IMAG0826_zpsef167603.jpg

This project is shelved. Having huge issues with the resin body. Something is leaching out of the resin and wrecking the paint. Soaking, cleaning, scrubbing.....nothing I've done has fixed or even lessened the issue. Maybe I'll get back to it sometime....too frustrated to continue.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, while I wait for a replacement body, I'm continuing on with the chassis. Thanks for the comments and encouragement. I've tried everything to salvage the body, but despite all my efforts, it continues to leach an oily residue that wrecks the paint. The experts tell me it's not fixable, either out of date components or improper mix ratio of the resin.

Got the brakes installed, the seats and belts, and have been working on the motor. I'm currently building a barrel valve and making fuel lines.

Here's a few pics...

IMAG0835_zpse09d39b2.jpg

IMAG0836_zps670ce40c.jpg

IMAG0834_zpsaffed958.jpg

IMAG0837_zpsae75cb79.jpg