Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram '53 Chevy

I have several 1/24 Mongram kits, and most suffer from the same ailment, the engines are too small. If I resto-mod the '53 I'll use the small block and use the big block in the Monogram Street Fighter on my shelf which also has a terrible engine. When it comes to 1/24 kits you have to plan and organize well so that you can make sure you have the right parts set aside to fix issues with each kit. Because you have a limited parts pool.

I cannot see your pics. How is that working out for you seeing as they are diffrent scales?

The firewall should fit between the fenders fine because the Monogram 53 Chevy is too narrow., but might need to have a strip added to the bottom because the body is too tall and needs to be sectioned. It looks like brewsterg6 may have made his inner fenders, and this body is too long but I havent looked close enough at this kit to see just where.

Guest Johnny

With a little work. This was from the Resin Realm site at one time.

Who said you can't build a '54 Chevy "High Boy" kit stock?.... The skirts are home made from styrene sheet. The emblems are also home made from
styrene then chrome foiled over with trimmed decal from '55 Chevy kit. The front bumper is '53 Ford! It fit fine with a little tweaking and trimming. The head light frames are modified '51 Chevy, the engine is from the Monogram '53 Belair kit and so are the back bumper guards & bar. The hub caps are trimmed down Revel '57 Chevy and the trunk script is photo etch. A true "Bone stock" '54 Chevy 210 sedan.

54chev2_zpse4a0a91d.jpg
54chev1_zps0d39699b.jpg

Edited by Johnny

Guest Johnny

I got one of these on the way!

I'm going to use this one as a guide except I will be attempting to make mine into a 4 door to replicate my first car!

The only thing I see on the one above is he needed to drop the top of the rear wheel well down a little so there would have been the room for the Belair trim to be just above it

Who said you can't build a '54 Chevy "High Boy" kit stock?.... The skirts are home made from styrene sheet. The emblems are also home made from

styrene then chrome foiled over with trimmed decal from '55 Chevy kit. The front bumper is '53 Ford! It fit fine with a little tweaking and trimming. The head light frames are modified '51 Chevy, the engine is from the Monogram '53 Belair kit and so are the back bumper guards & bar. The hub caps are trimmed down Revel '57 Chevy and the trunk script is photo etch. A true "Bone stock" '54 Chevy 210 sedan.

54chev2_zpse4a0a91d.jpg

54chev1_zps0d39699b.jpg

Modeling at it's best, making do with what you have and talent certainly shows.

Some gorgeous models displayed! That being said, I've built the Monogram 53 and the Revell 54. The Monogram pretty much falls together, while the Revell is very fiddlly. The front end of the Monogram is way off and too flat, but the roof of the Revell is too arched. I think the best combo would to use 90% of the Monogram kit, and splice on the Revell front end. Just my 2 cents.

54chev2_zpse4a0a91d.jpg

54chev1_zps0d39699b.jpg

Nice work! I am hoping to do the same with this kit.

The firewall should fit between the fenders fine because the Monogram 53 Chevy is too narrow., but might need to have a strip added to the bottom because the body is too tall and needs to be sectioned. It looks like brewsterg6 may have made his inner fenders, and this body is too long but I havent looked close enough at this kit to see just where.

The inner fenders and the firewall fit in with minimal trimming. Odd that I had to trim stuff considering the scales are supposed to be the opposite way, but that's what happened! The length was fine because they end at the rad, and on the '51 kit they extend in front of the rad right up to the back of the head lights.

I think this is the same kit I once had only it was boxed as being from the movie "Grease". I remember it had decals that looked like rust and I thought, "Why would someone want to put those on a model?" This was back when rust wasn't cool. :lol:

Rust still isn't cool. Not on my 1:1 cars, not on my models either.