Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nascar, ya like the new car?

Nhra is great, but a lot of the door slammer sanctioning bodies are even better! Like the psca or nmca. Scsn 8 put on by the psca back in November was absolutely awesome!

Even so the NHRA has adopted some of the same stupid ideas Nascar came up with and they are losing fans at a rapid rate too!

Johnathon, had the new cars looked as close to the street cars as the "bricks" did, they just might have appealed to most fans. But they didn't and they kept stretching and mashing them so out of shape that it was impossible to tell which was which without the decals.

Even the new ons are still so unlike the street versions it is not going to help!

The closest one (and it wasn't that close) was the Dodge and it isn't even racing this year!

I sorry, I must have fallen asleep. What was this topic about? Oh yeah NAPCAR, great way to relax on a Sunday afternoon. The new cars won't change a thing, TV was the best and the worst thing to happen to stock car racing!

Congress has even given them huge tax breaks. http://usgovinfo.about.com/b/2010/12/24/congress-gives-nascar-a-40m-tax-break.htm

I sorry, I must have fallen asleep. What was this topic about? Oh yeah NAPCAR, great way to relax on a Sunday afternoon. The new cars won't change a thing, TV was the best and the worst thing to happen to stock car racing!

Congress has even given them huge tax breaks. http://usgovinfo.about.com/b/2010/12/24/congress-gives-nascar-a-40m-tax-break.htm

So you wasted time posting here, go bash NASCAR somewhere else please

Revell needs to get on the drag racing wagon. Namely the heads up door car classes like modern pro mods and the various 10.5 and radial classes

And that is your opinion, and I hope Revell does not waste any money on new drag racing tooling, any fool can drive in a straight line :lol:

And that is your opinion, and I hope Revell does not waste any money on new drag racing tooling, any fool can drive in a straight line :lol:

Would love to see a roundy rounder handle a fueler.

NASCAR driver Kurt Busch did drive a pro stock I believe , I know he tired it out, Yes its not a top fueler, not as powerful, but still

Edited by martinfan5

and real race cars don't turn corners! :lol:

Well said! Could not agree more.

They might as well just go to a common body and just brand it by power plant.

I believe that is what Brian France would love to do anyway. Then Nascar could control it all pretty much as they would probably end up being the seller of the body.

They just need to throw in the towel and go to a sedan class of racing. Then at least they would be racing REAL production cars!

NASCAR "stock" cars quit being "stock" cars in 1966 when Holman-Moody convinced NASCAR to allow them to use a full-frame under the unibodied Ford Fairlane. Every car since then has been a purpose-built hand-fabricated race car. You know who told me that? Leonard Wood. Think he knows a thing or two about NASCAR. I grew up in a NASCAR town and was in and around NASCAR teams and garages my whole childhood. Those cars didn't arrive at the garages on a trailer or were picked up from a local dealer, they arrived as a few factory sheet metal stampings and various other components shipped in cardboard boxes or wooden crates and also as raw steel sheet metal and tubular stock.

I think these new cars look as close to the street car as NASCAR car has looked in the last 20 years, and I think they'll have the desired effect of getting the manufacturers more involved with the development of the race cars. When we start seeing the manufacturers start designing street cars just so they can race them in NASCAR, I think we'll be seeing the effect they're after. I think we're already seeing it with the Chevy SS. The era of "Win on Sunday, sell on Monday" might just be coming back...

While I'm not really a fan of watching "NASCAR" (et al.) , I am a fan of the *legal* origins of the organisation (e.g. , post-Moonshine-running).

However , "'Stock' Car" is so far removed from its origins that it's not even fun anymore ; there's no showroom stock cars to be found !!

In my guilded opinion , NASCAR needs to revamp its operations ; a return to Body-In-White bodies as the basis ---regardless of the cars' bodystyle (2 door , 4 door , etc.)--- is necessary , as is the use of factory-based engines / drivetrains ( a V8 Camery ?!? When's the last time one could buy one of those off the showroom ??) .

With all of the above :

I'm not the least bit impressed by the lot of it . It's all shooting fish in a barrel . Where's the endurance aspect to the "race" ? How is what I'm seeing on the track --the winners and the top contenders-- supposed to decide me on purchasing the "Win On Sunday..." vehicle ?

Strip-away all of the freakin' computers , communications , and the "equality" (everyone uses the same equipment as their fellow "competition" ? What is it , a Pine Wood Derby ???).

Now , Ontario Motor Speedway (R.I.P. , 1970-1980) circa 1970 or so = FUN . Petty's then-new 1971 Satellite on-track with the "small guys" in their 1967 Chargers , 1966 Chevelles , 1969 Torinos , etc.

New tracks and "equal" vehicles = *YaWn*

I don't like the "equal" car idea either, and I hope that's what they get away from. That's how it got in the 90's where one make would win a couple races in a row and they'd start tweaking the rules to give the other cars more of an advantage and it was one little rule change every week or two for years until we ended up with a bunch of cars that were the same except for stickers. The fans didn't like that. They tried to make it into one big IROC series of equally prepared cars. What they should do now is let the manufacturers design the race cars how they see fit, if one make ends up with a better car then the other makes just need to step their game up.