Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Dodge A100 Overhaulin' Style

Mike, I back you on the wheels. I have several of these kits and only one has the stock rims/rubber. The rest are aftermarket units and I like it that way. Soldier on with YOUR build. If others don't like the rims you chose, let them build their own version and stop grousing about your build.

B) B) B) Do it the way YOU want to see it done!!

Sorry...no progress since I am very busy at work for 12-15 hours days. If there was any progress made, I would have posted it. As I have previously stated, this will be a slow build and done the way I want it...custom wheels and all!

Mike.....First I think you should do a and put a and even maybe some and for the rest of it I think you should do it with a and then some but only if you use that type when used with a larger but smaller version of the one that didn't come with it on the other kind that would work well with it to make it an awesome model..........................or ya could just do it your way ;)

Hey Mike,

I wasn't trying to be pushy or influence YOUR choice of wheels. Just anxious to see this thru as I am attempting the same build & I assume you are more talented than I, as I have only completed only 1 model in over 30 years. I didn't mean to offend anyone. If I did,.I apologize. PLEASE keep this going!!!!!

The upcoming Classic Plastic Model Club show in September, 2012 will once again have a Club Challenge. This time it will be pickup trucks...built anyway you want. I threw my hat into the ring with a 1950 Ford F1, but I changed my mind after a few days after seeing a Dodge A100 factory stock build elsewhere. I was influenced to try my hand at an A100. This kit has been in my stash for a while and I have been needing an opportunity to built it. This will be a slow build since this is for the Club Challenge and I want to get this one right, especially after hearing stories about the door hinges. I have a Overhaulin' look in mind.

A10001.jpg

I have a set of Pegasus Chrome T's for this build. Let's see if I can get them to fit.

A10002.jpg

A10003.jpg

I am undecided on the color right now. I'm thinking of copper, metallic brown, fiery orange...or maybe Hemi Orange! We shall see...

More to come...

Hemmi Orange

Mike.....First I think you should do a and put a and even maybe some and for the rest of it I think you should do it with a and then some but only if you use that type when used with a larger but smaller version of the one that didn't come with it on the other kind that would work well with it to make it an awesome model..........................or ya could just do it your way ;)

This is too funny! :lol:

Hey Mike,

I wasn't trying to be pushy or influence YOUR choice of wheels. Just anxious to see this thru as I am attempting the same build & I assume you are more talented than I, as I have only completed only 1 model in over 30 years. I didn't mean to offend anyone. If I did,.I apologize. PLEASE keep this going!!!!!

Bart, you didn't offend me. I personally think that posting "Any progress yet?" type of replies is kind of rude. But, somehow I didn't get that from your posting. As I have stated in my opening post, this will be a slow build as I have 9 months to complete it for the Classic Plastic Model Club show in September. If you were hoping for something of a quicker build, then you will be disappointed. This build will not stop, it's just going to take a while to do. I hope you are patient...

Bart, to there are those who don't care if you have manners or not, I consider it to be polite to others.

I have decided on a color for my A100...Testors One Coat Fiery Orange. I know that I have had issues with this paint in the past on my '32 Ford Sedan Street Rod. Maybe I can do a better job with it this time around.

A10004.jpg

I had started cleaning up the body of mold lines and flash when I decided to do a mock up and to see if the wheels and tires would fit within the wheelwells. That is a definite YES!

A10005.jpg

These wheels are gonna look great!

A10006.jpg

More to come...

No argument from me on the wheels, although I'd like to suggest some more meat on the rear. No idea what they came from at this point, but I stretched some nice rubbery Michelin MXX3's over mine (after making a deeper a dish from a pair of sacrificial rims). I suspect not only will YOU like it a lot better, you'll also get a lot less nay-sayers. heheh

Seriously, though. It would just bring the whole thing home. Nice choice on the color, too.

Thanks guys! I don't have any tires in my stash that are "meatier" than the ones on the rims now. And, my idea for this pickup does not include big and little wheels and tires. My paint issues were of the poor coverage as the paint looked more like streaks after making a pass while spraying. I know that many of you like the Testors One Coat, but I am still not crazy about it. We shall see what happens when I get around to spraying it. I will change my way of applying it with lighter coats.

Fair enough. I think, though, that you are possibly misinterpreting the suggestion. I don't mean to go to what most would think of as a big n little, just a little thicker sidewall than on the fronts. You said you were after an "Overhaulin'" vibe...if you leave those anemic little rubber bands on the back, it screams "tuner" not "overhaulin'". If that's the look you're after, that's how you accomplish it. If the look you have now is what you're after, that's fine too...but it's something different than you said. :P

Your truck, your build. Just trying to help, but you do seem a bit on the defensive side. Makes it difficult to comment other than shallow "looks great", ya know? :D

Christopher, I'm sorry if I seem to be a bit defensive, it comes from having to constantly tell people my reasons for doing things in a certain way. Elsewhere, on another project, I had a person tell me in no uncertain terms that I should call the Dodge paint I was using by the Plymouth name (same paint code). I started to lose control of my thread and basically had to tell everyone that they needed to start their own threads to discuss paint codes and Elastromeric bumpers and such. I didn't name names as they knew who they were and they stopped bothering me with their nonsense. While I do appreciate suggestions, some suggestions come across as demands and it urks me greatly. I do appreciate your suggestion on the tires and I have taken it as such. I am more use to explaining a process that I used more than explaining why I didn't do something someone's elses way. Again, I'm sorry.

You are correct when you talk about the "vibe" and the "vibe" I want is more towards Overhaulin than tuner. I personally don't like the tuner look and to me a tuner is more of a foreign car or small truck with the wheels and tires tucked up under the fenders and cheap body add-on that are falling off than something American made and big like the A100. Your suggestion of a tire with more meat on it is how I had interpreted it and I simply do not have any tires in my parts box that would fit these rims. I envisioned the A100 lowered a bit but not tuner-like. Don't let the pic of the mockup fool you into thinking that I am going for the tuner look as the body with floor pan was sitting on top of the tires without any suspension componants added. I want this truck to look more like it is driven daily in comfort and not banging down the road with an ultra-stiff suspension like I see the tuner cars doing.

So far, I have removed about 98% of the flash and mold lines. My plan for this build is no bumpers, so I set about filling the holes for the front and rear bumpers. I opened the holes just enough to insert a short length of styrene rod and some ProWeld.

A10007.jpg

A10008.jpg

I have yet to remove the bracing from the bed and cab since I don't want to take any chances of compromising the body while I handle it. I then glued in the rear panel which added to the strength of the rear of the body.

A10009.jpg

I will sand the rod ends smooth and then coat the holes and rear panel seams with putty.

More to come...

Niko, Ambroid is not rare for me as my local hobby shop has plenty in stock. I do not know if it is shipped outside of the US. Try contacting some on-line retailers to see if they ship this product out of the US.