Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari 340 Competizione FINAL PICS UP.....Getting casted!

Kennyboy

This is some beautiful work. It definitely needs to go for a dip in some silicone!

Thanks Greg! I do hope that happens.

Very creative, out-of-the-box thinking going on here. If it all works out (as I'm sure it will) it will be a MAJOR achievement.

Thank you Peter. :D

Thanks Richard! :)

Today's update:

Filled in the hood/fender seams with Kent two part automotive epoxy. This thing is strong enough to throw across the room now!! :lol:

Went through about a sheet of 240 grit sand paper shaping and such. There is still a lot of sanding needed but it is starting to look like the car.

Thanks to all who are following this and for all the great comments.

P1020240_zpsbf982802.jpg

P1020243_zps32290d38.jpg

P1020241_zps6c98ff4f.jpg

P1020242_zpsfa3a6032.jpg

P1020245_zps0acaaa67.jpg

Looking good, Ken! I did a little surfing on he web last night and this is really a cool car! You're doing a great job capturing it too! I keep checking in high anticipation, for progress updates to see where you are. Can't wait for the next update.

Thanks Dirk!

Gonna try and get the beltline and then front end wrapped up next.

-To anybody that sees this, I am looking for two taillights for this build. Like from a 458 Italia or a 599 GTO. Would have to be from a Ferrari that has only two taillights. The ones with four tails will be too small. Thanks!-

Edited by Kennyboy

This promises to be an amazing model.

A little story-When I was about 5 years old the Fuller Brush salesman came by our house and dropped off a catalog.Featured in this catalog was Phil Hill,who had won LeMans the prior year(1958-co driving with Olivier Gendebien)and had been associated for a few years with Ferrari.There were several pictures of 50s era Ferraris throughout the catalog,among them the 340 Mexico coupe that Hill co-drove with Ritchie Ginther in the 1953 Carrera Panamericana road race.When I saw that picture,it said to my 5 year old perceptions "This is a race car".And,54 years later,I still have the catalog,torn cover and all.It's one of the prized items in my literature collection.

A little story-When I was about 5 years old the Fuller Brush salesman came by our house and dropped off a catalog.Featured in this catalog was Phil Hill,who had won LeMans the prior year(1958-co driving with Olivier Gendebien)and had been associated for a few years with Ferrari.There were several pictures of 50s era Ferraris throughout the catalog,among them the 340 Mexico coupe that Hill co-drove with Ritchie Ginther in the 1953 Carrera Panamericana road race.When I saw that picture,it said to my 5 year old perceptions "This is a race car".And,54 years later,I still have the catalog,torn cover and all.It's one of the prized items in my literature collection.

Very kool!!!!!

Looks awesome Ken, you're working magic!!!

That is awesome Tony! Thanks for sharing the story. :)

Very kool!!!!!

Looks awesome Ken, you're working magic!!!

Thanks Kerry! Abracadabra! :P Naw, just trying my best!

I'd say the best is here!!! I can hear the engine revin' already!!!!

:D Thanks Kerry!

Update for today! 10-11-13

Got one of the front fenders shaped and both sides filled in with Tamiya putty ready for more sanding (round 3)!

Going to include a photo of where this was last week versus today......to remind myself how far it has come (it is almost a reality.)

Last week

P1020226_zpsb45f22ac.jpg

Today

P1020250_zps66b35451.jpg

P1020251_zps59561840.jpg

P1020253_zpsc370eaa4.jpg

P1020254_zps6aea2d3b.jpg

Edited by Kennyboy

From the movie "Gone in 60 Seconds" where Nicholas Cage is looking in the mirror he says............. "You are one bad man" Drop this in resin I'm getting a few copies of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Awesome, simply awesome!!!!!

Edited by DrKerry

From the movie "Gone in 60 Seconds" where Nicholas Cage is looking in the mirror he says............. "You are one bad man" Drop this in resin I'm getting a few copies of it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Awesome, simply awesome!!!!!

:lol: Thanks as always Kerry! Cant wait to get a few copies myself!! ;)

Simply amazing! What you're doing here is as much sculpture as modeling, and definately art!

The 'then and now' comparison realy gives an idea of how much work and skill has gone into this project.

It looks alot more like a car now and less like a patchwork quilt :lol:

Working on the chassis sizing today. The Enzo chassis fits really nice now that I took off about 7 millimeters off of either side and removed the whole front splitter.

This will allow me make it a full detail not a curbside.

Just going to move the Enzo engine forward to the front and will probably run the Enzo wheels/tires because they are closer to the 1:1 in size.

Oooooohh sexy!!!! I'm getting all warm and fuzzy right now........ LOL

That chassis does fit awfully nice!!!!!

Thanks Kerry! Couldn't find anything that fit as nice as the Enzo chassis. Also, just ordered 23" Pegasus stepped sleeves for the Enzo wheels. Can you say stagger? B)

Edited by Kennyboy