Model Cars Magazine Forum

Aston Martin DBS

mitchell

while the site was down, had a chance to finish up a few cars. This is an Aston Martin from Tamiya. Great kit but the pity is that it only has a half engine and it miss a few detail under the hood. Still manage to add some wires and pipes to make it more realistic. This car was a mistake from before. painted it metallic black and the paint was ruined by a mistake. So stripped it and painted it metallic red. This is a well proportion model. Looks stunning. Thanks for watching.

I have this kit on my shelf for a rainy day build. Engine details set aside, some of the best injection molding I have ever seen. even the chrome is great.

Love your choice of color.

BTW: Saw the 1:1 of this car on the street once. It made my jaw drop.

Dale

Edited by ScaleDale

the stitching is done by white paint with a needle. it turn out decent enough but painting with a needle is a pain in the butt. Also the details on the dial is also done the same way. Going to try another way next time in doing stitching and piping next time. I base this build on this reference picture.

Jim, the decals are extremely hard on this aston. Need several application of the decal softener to make it lay flat. But once it's flat, i also painted it with clear. The effect of that is really good, it brightened it up by a few notch. Other than that, I find this kit extremely well executed. Everything fitted well but the body repair on the rear wing is a bit of a pain the butt. Other than that, compare to older kits, everything fits perfectly especially the clear pieces. I did change the tires out to a lower profile tires to make it look a bit lowered.

Edited by mitchell

went outdoor and took some picture of this car. This one is how I treated the carbon brake disc. I did not want to use a PE brake disc because it fits a cast iron disc better. With some metallic grey paint and and soot smeared on it, it look more like a real carbon disc under use. Not shown on the picture, but i did drill the vents on the middle of the disc.

Edited by mitchell

Beautiful work Mitchell! Love all the little details you added. I've also built this kit & had the same dramas as everyone who's built this kit had... The decaling & those **** metal transfers! :-(

I have another 2 of these kits, 1 regular & 1 with the Aber PE detail kit. Luckily I got true 1:1 colours for them before Hiroboy/Zero Paints stopped being able to ship Internationally ;-)

Astons have to be my most favourite "exotic " cars ever! Looks like there's going to be some serious AMs in the future as they've just announced a partnership with Mercs AMG division.... Now if we could only hope/pray for them in kit form.... :-)

Once again... Great build mate!

Cliff

this is low version with only the tamiya PE. But i normally don't like to use that much PE. But with this one, i might need to get a extra aftermarket PE just for the dash and seat control details. Decals was ok in my opinion, but those metal transfer drove me crazy too.

Nice job on the Aston, Mitchell!

I've seen plenty of these in London and yours sits just right. Your decision to change the tyres really paid-off. It looks very convincing.

Looks like you had much better luck with the red paint. Very nice work.

• 3 weeks later...

went outdoor and took some picture of this car. This one is how I treated the carbon brake disc. I did not want to use a PE brake disc because it fits a cast iron disc better. With some metallic grey paint and and soot smeared on it, it look more like a real carbon disc under use. Not shown on the picture, but i did drill the vents on the middle of the disc.

Did you paint it black, then the metallic gray, or just mettallic grey with the soot weathering?

the brake disc surface is just hand painted metallic Grey then weathered with a bit of silver and soot. hand painted the center black and highlight the bolts with silver. Also drill the vents on the brake surface. In my opinion, it looks more like carbon disc with this method than PE parts.