Model Cars Magazine Forum

I've been participating but I don't think I've posted any builds. Till now.

bob terry

Harry, I've tried to do the foil bit, That is a skill I haven't been able to master. I've followed all the tutorials I've found but I just can't get it. What I do is highlight the window trim with a black sharpie. I like that contrast.

I'm positive you can do it. It's not that hard. If you can build a model that looks that good, you have what it takes to do foil. It does take a bit of practice if you've never tried it, but like any other skill, you can learn it. You can always practice on a scrap body or some old model you don't care about. Believe me... once you get the hang of it (and you will), you won't ever build another model without it.

Harry, I've tried to do the foil bit, That is a skill I haven't been able to master. I've followed all the tutorials I've found but I just can't get it. What I do is highlight the window trim with a black sharpie. I like that contrast.

If you can do that with a black Sharpie, you can do it with a silver Sharpie. That's what I've been using for window trim for a couple years now and I can't imagine how I got by for 40 years without it.

Yep, just took another trip back to my younger days. :) That is how we ran them if we could. Sometimes the local police department would have to ask tell you to drop the height of the rear.....hehehe. One day it would be too high and you would drop it only to be pulled over later and somehow, the darn thing was too high again. B)

Nice looking GTO by the way!

I like it with or without foil. Looks good with the black outline.

For most of the '70s, I drove a '69 SS/RS Camaro. It was light blue with a white top which I didn't like. In '77 or '78 I had it repainted a metallic gray very similar to this GTO. I had all the emblems and gingerbread removed, and swapped hoods with a guy for a non-SS hood. The black trim thing was starting to appear, especially on Eurocars. I tried to get my window trim done in black but everyone told me they couldn't paint chrome, it wouldn't stay on. I had bigs n normals on it--a "rubber rake."

What I'm saying is that this model is the '66 GTO equivalent of the Camaro I actually owned and drove in the late '70s. Model on, dude! B)

It's good to see someone else "dwelling in the 70's" on a build.

Started working on my Southern Fried '57 Ford "Garage Dog" a little, again.

Started driving in '74. We had the "strip" where everybody cruised. A line of Fast Food joints auto parts store , etc.and a big Kmart parking lot on one end where you could gather without the Cops running you off!. just off the main highway.'Bout a quarter of a mile long. Cruise down, turn around, cruise back up. Crowded on weekends.

Saw cars just like yours. Every kind of car.

I had a '56 Bel Air. 350 4 speed with a worn out Hurst (that sometimes hung up) headers (which we could un-cap until Cops said cap it) 50's on 10 inch, 78's on 7's. American Torqs all around. Nice Turquois paint...until you got to the front cap (grey primmer...a little fender bender) no front bumper or splash guard.

Boy, do I miss that car...

You did a good job!

Yup...'70's all the way! And boy...does this bring back a memory.

One rainy night back in '74, and I mean pouring, a guy pulls into a gas station that I was working at, with, if my memory serves me, a '69 or '70 somethin. Raked like you wouldn't believe. Cracks his window and hands me three bucks for gas. OK...no problem. That tore up rain poncho will....whatever. I get done, and as I give him the thumbs-up he stops me and through the crack asks for fifty cents more. All the while his buddies are yuk'n it up. Well, was he ever surprised when he pulled out onto Main street! As with most stations the drop between the drive and street was a bit higher, and since the valves for adding air to his shocks were both located behind the drop down license plate. Also where the gas filler was. Well...ya know....I kinda let a bit of air out of his shocks.

I know, I know.....not the nicest thing to do, but it sure made me smile as I stood in the bay dripping wet and watched his tires smack up into his wheel wells!

Oh and Bobby...great lookin Goat! Sixty-six through sixty-eight are, in my mind, the best years for the GTO. I've got an MPC '68 that I picked-up as a rebuilder off of Ebay waiting to be restored. I think that after seeing yours...that '68 will need to move up in the line-up.

The foil work for me is almost as much effort as building the model in the first place. I have used the silver sharpie and a thing called Prismacolor , art marker from Hobby Lobby. Do it over clear and then add clear over for best results. You can always foil over this when your skill level increases. Harry is right about practicing on an old body. After I finished a Revell snap '57 Chevy, a lot of foil, I felt more confident. I still use the Prismacolor pen sometimes. Your GTO looks great, not a big fan of the high rake but, I do remember when!