Model Cars Magazine Forum

Competition forum categories

I never really thought about this too much because I don't look at these things, but I was just looking at a great IMSA build in Under Glass -- but where does it go on the forum? In racing, we only have Drag and NASCAR categories listed. What about all the other stuff? Where does it go? F1, Midget, Dirt, GTs, etc? And we have 8 categories just for trucks -- that's more twice what we have for passenger cars.

Harry has often said we need a better competition category, and I agree.

Without going crazy, you could have a forum that includes Open Wheel (F1. Indycar, midgets, etc), GT-Le Mans, NASCAR (+ similar circuits like IMSA), Drag, Historic, etc. (easy on the etc. part).

Edited by sjordan2

I want to delete the Drag and NASCAR categories altogether.

Then I would like to rework the Model Cars Workbench and Under Glass categories like this:

On the Workbench: Stock, Street Rod/Hot Rod, Show/Custom

Under Glass: Stock, Street Rod/Hot Rod, Show/Custom

On the Workbench; Competition (NASCAR, Drag, F1, Indy, dirt track, etc.)

Under Glass: Competition (NASCAR, Drag, F1, Indy, dirt track, etc.)

I never understood why we have a "generic" Workbench and Under Glass section where I assume all types of model cars can go, but then we also have separate areas for only two specific types of car models in addition to "On the Workbench" and "Under Glass."

Then I would like to rework the Model Cars Workbench and Under Glass categories like this:

I never understood why we have a "generic" Workbench and Under Glass section where I assume all types of model cars can go, but then we also have separate areas for only two specific types of car models in addition to "On the Workbench" and "Under Glass."

Sold.

Sold X2

Just my suggestion,but this is how I would do it:

Workbench with these sub categories

Cars (anything street legal)

Competition (drag,round track NASCAR, salt flats,Indy etc.)

Trucks (anything from a pickup to a semi)

Other (anything that doesn't fit in the above)

Under Glass with these sub categories

Competition (drag,round track, NASCAR,salt flats,Indy etc.)

Other

Edited by plowboy

Just my suggestion,but this is how I would do it:

Workbench with these sub categories

Competition (drag,round track NASCAR, salt flats,Indy etc.)

Other (anything that doesn't fit in the above)

Under Glass with these sub categories

Competition (drag,round track, NASCAR,salt flats,Indy etc.)

Other

Won't work that way because we already have a separate Trucks section that's not going to go away, so no combining cars and trucks. We had this whole "we want a separate Truck section" conversation a long time ago... that's why model cars have their section and model trucks have their section. If we were to have just one section for cars and trucks and "other" models, your suggestion would be the way to go... but it's been decided that cars and trucks and "all the rest" should each get their own dedicated area of the forum.

What I'm talking about is reconfiguring just the model cars section, not touching any other areas.

Why fix what isn't broke? The drag section has a pretty good following with around 8 to 12 topics updated almost daily. If you blend everything together then it will be more difficult for the drag folks to find the topics that they are interested in. Just because someone mentions how many categories the truck builders have doesn't mean that others have to suffer.

I agree that other topics shouldn't get the short end of the stick but snap decisions are not the answer. Not to sell them short but how many IMSA subjects do you see added here on a daily/weekly basis? Not many. What about Indy or F1?

Do some research to determine what would be the best fit for all parties involved.

I've been thinking about this a long time, no snap decision.

Why should drag and NASCAR guys get special treatment? Why don't customs have their own special area?

Or street rod? Show cars? Rat rods? Beaters? Tuners? Lowriders? and on and on.

Seems odd to me that only Drag and NASCAR get their own special area, but nobody else does.

I've been thinking about this a long time, no snap decision.

Why should drag and NASCAR guys get special treatment? Why don't customs have their own special area?

Or street rod? Show cars? Rat rods? Beaters? Tuners? Lowriders? and on and on.

Seems odd to me that only Drag and NASCAR get their own special area, but nobody else does.

I didn't have a hand in creating the categories so why make it sound like it's our fault that we drag folks have a successful section of the forum that I personally don't want to see messed with? I would be willing to bet that maybe Gregg had some input on these, longstanding categories.

Edited by 1320wayne

I didn't have a hand in creating the categories so why make it sound like it's our fault that we drag folks have a successful section of the forum that I personally don't want to see messed with?

Well, obviously you like the drag section, "1320wayne"... :lol:

Nobody is blaming anyone for anything. The categories existed before I came along, I just have to wonder why? My point is, why are we giving only two types of models (drag and NASCAR) "special treatment?" What about all the rest?

As much as you personally like the fact that there's a drag section because you like drag models, what about the guys who prefer rat rods? Or customs? Or lowriders? If your specific area of interest gets a special section, well, that's great for you. What about everyone else? Or do only the drag and NASCAR guys "deserve" their own special section?

I'm new around here and haven't posted any of my builds but I like building race cars. Not dragsters or Nascar though. For example I'm working on an Accurate Miniatures Mclaren M8B, Revel 50 Olds Panamerican racer and a Mitsubishi Evo Rally car. Being as there isn't a sub forum for any of these I would have to just post them under the regular Cars Under Glass section. I think it would be great to have another sub forum for race cars other than Nascar and 1/4 milers.

I am NASCAR fan and I love having my own section :lol: , but I love other types of race cars as well, I dont like drag racing, but I am willing to deal with drag car threads to have a section that is for everything motor sports, I am 100% supporting having a competition section

All joking aside, I am thinking that do you need a printed / CNC section if you want to be the forum that grows that content. My 2¢, or at this point 4¢

A good idea, but maybe not quite yet. I think at this point it's still a bit "out there" to the average forum member.

I am NASCAR fan and I love having my own section :lol: , but I love other types of race cars as well, I dont like drag racing, but I am willing to deal with drag car threads to have a section that is for everything motor sports, I am 100% supporting having a competition section

I think that might be the cleanest dividing line: Motorsport and Non-motorsport. That pretty much covers all possibilities (or at least almost all!).

I think that might be the cleanest dividing line: Motorsport and Non-motorsport. That pretty much covers all possibilities (or at least almost all!).

Like you said, motorsports, it covers it all, I have some kits coming, well as soon as the clear customs, that could use a new motorsports section ;)

Edited by martinfan5

There will always be WAY more Drag Racing and Nascar builds than any other competition car.

Why not just leave those two alone and add a third "Other Copetition". While it may seem they are being slighted, they really aren't.

There just isn't enought of each of the others to warrant a separate section.

Bad enough the mess the trucks section was made into.

99% of Pickups are not commercial and should have been left with the cars as they are more daily drivers than not!