Model Cars Magazine Forum

Who did the resin 66 Valiant?

There were all over eBay this summer, but they disappeared quickly. I thought they were a R&R item, but not really sure. Does anyone know who did these and will they be doing some more?

Also , if they sold so well, along with recasting the 66 Valiant, maybe they should do some other years like 64 and 65. I'd suggest the other years but 60-62 had a lot of issues by both Revell and AMT while 63 Valiant doesn't command the prices the 64-65s do, though I'd take one of those as well!

Edited by Phil Patterson

There were all over eBay this summer, but they disappeared quickly. I thought they were a R&R item, but not really sure. Does anyone know who did these and will they be doing some more?

Also , if they sold so well, along with recasting the 66 Valiant, maybe they should do some other years like 64 and 65. I'd suggest the other years but 60-62 had a lot of issues by both Revell and AMT while 63 Valiant doesn't command the prices the 64-65s do, though I'd take one of those as well!

R&R did them and I suspect it was those you saw on eBay. I have seen it and IIRC, it is basically the '65 with the front from the 66 AWB F/C Cuda grafted on and a modified grille. Interior is still 65 which might, or might not be correct for '66 though I suspect the latter. Major problem is the rear roofline which is substantially different between '65 and '66. Will be interesting to see if the promo has it correct... I believe Motor City does the '63 BTW.

I never did see the R&R version but if all they changed was the front end then it would be wrong. There are major differences between all three body styles mentioned (64-66). 64 and 65's were pretty close but the 66 has big changes. The front end, as mentioned, matched that of the Cuda body but there was also the b-pillars that were different as well as the taillights and the front and rear bumpers. Also there were trim differences along the body sides that were quite different. There is a raised body spear on the upper front fenders of a 65 that do not exist on a 66. There is also a raised body spear that protrudes along the lower rear quarter panel out from the rear bumper on a 65 that is not there on a 66.

I know these things because I have a 1:1 pro street 66 Valiant sitting outside and I am building a model to duplicate the car using a 65 promo that I found as well as a 66 HUG kit for the major changes.