Model Cars Magazine Forum

Stacey David's Rat Roaster by : REVELL

Greg Myers

Funny you should bring up; all the errors the traditional guys get obsessed about. Granted the original car

, Stacey David's "Rat Roaster" has an I beam front axle, but traditionally rodders of yore were looking for the smooth look obtained by using the "Tube" axle found under a'60 powered flathead '36 Ford.

As for tradition, things often change, i.e. the venerable flattie, up until the late fifty's the darling of the hot rod crowd. Then , probably the early fifty's some went looking for more power. Remember "If some is good, and more is better, then Too much should be just about right." thus the OHV engines, 303 Olds, Pontiac, yes even a Studebaker V-8. But then along came the little Chevrolet 265 V-8. Cheep, power to weight numbers were up there too, and just about every after market company was on the band wagon.and with the help of a company called Wil-Cap you could bolt up just about any combination you could think of.

So I don't think Revell did so bad.

O lordy, lordy, please stay tuned in for the unboxing review I did for THE CRANKY SHOW on YOUTUBE.

I am amazed at the level of detail and quality, not only to the interior, and some of the body parts like the fenders, but those wheels make the kit really worth it. The decal sheet is nothing to scream about.

But the guitar is!

Check out the kit contents!

Edited by Harry P.

Sitting here eating some pork and waiting with all respect to Doctor Cranky for another fine unavailing No, we are not calling it a Rat but a Rat Roaster, not "roadster" but, "Roaster" as in, This mouse is going to roast you up and eat you for dinner all you Rats! Can't wait to get my hands on one, thank you Doctor Cranky. :rolleyes:

Edited by rmvw guy

I can see why some would pass. Seeing as how Revell cut entirely new steel for this, I think they blew an opportunity not only to nail the subject but to create some really compelling parts fodder when they went wide of the mark on the axles.

The wheel and tire package alone sells it to me, but I gotta wonder if a proper beam axle up front would have been a tipping point the other way for some who'll skip it.

Yes, I am aware that Mr. David is calling it a ROASTER. It took my ear just a little bit to get used to that. LOL.

The video is almost finished. I will post the link to it above.

Stay tuned in.

My take on this kit is that OVER TIME people are really going to praise this kit for all the options (along with the other Revell 32s) that will be available.

Just did. I think I'll pass on this kit.

Same here, there is nothing about this kit that excites me . Then again, 'and even though I really do appreciate the fact the street rods guys tend to drive there creations more so than most of the old car culture in general'

Myself, I have zero interest in building street rods . And I've yet to see anything in this kit that makes me want to run out and buy a $20 + parts kits.

Is it really that much better than the numerous other 32 Ford kits that have been avail over the years?

my 2 cents only btw.

But I will take all your lobster tails and shimp though,,,,.

Edited by gtx6970

I can see why some would pass. Seeing as how Revell cut entirely new steel for this, I think they blew an opportunity not only to nail the subject but to create some really compelling parts fodder when they went wide of the mark on the axles.

The wheel and tire package alone sells it to me, but I gotta wonder if a proper beam axle up front would have been a tipping point the other way for some who'll skip it.

Same here, there is nothing about this kit that excites me . ...

Is it really that much better than the numerous other 32 Fod kits that have been avail over the years?

This was my earlier point about the chance to begin a "Mk. II" iteration of this venerable series. My guess is that this version will show strong initial sales (as it already seems to be doing) but sales will soften quickly. It's not a Dan Fink Speedwagon, it renews the roadster body form afterall, but it seems to have been the victim of a lot of conceptual infighting - the chance to add details from the 1:1 that would have created a heightened level of excitement in the marketplace has been missed. After all, just how many Rat Roaster replicas are out there to build? And even at that level the kit may prove to be a disappointment, given that many of the details are handled via the decal sheet. Can you say "cost control"?

Edited by Bernard Kron

After looking at all of the parts, parts trees, decals, what's in the box, videos and phone camera shots it's it's finally dawned on me there's no "up top" in this kit.

So count me out. :(

I hope that's sarcasm.

And on a brighter note: the front axle, even though it's still a tube axle, has been modified to lower the front end a couple scale inches.

So, it's got that going for it...

Where ??? So many extras...I want to THANK Revell for a great kit !!!

Amen to that, Greg. I've literary slept with the kit under my pillow last night. It spoke to me, all that great plastic, it said, if you build me, you can use all my parts (along with all the other great Revell 32 kits of recent) to build to your imagination's specs . .

Nobody is talking about the interior. I love it. I think it's a great option. The guitar is a plus. The engine can be swapped or dressed in a gazillion number of ways.

Really, what's not to like about this kit. Oh, and you will see once you are holding one in your hands, that the parts are clean and made out of this sturdy beautiful white plastic.

For all lovers of the 32, this is definitely a re-energizing canvas. What's on your mind?