Model Cars Magazine Forum

1952 So-Cal Belly Tank Lakester

curt raitz

Curt, my old friend...you better give those elves a raise in pay, it seems like they're slowing down a bit.

Well, at least they're still doing GREATwork, even if they are a bit slower than before!!

Later,

So-Cal belly tanker put on shelf for awhile...waiting for parts to arrive

Elves are doin' just fine...been working on other projects :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...

All wrapped up ready to move to "UnderGlass"

SoCalBellyTank_a-vi.jpg

SoCalBellyTank_b-vi.jpg

SoCalBellyTank_e-vi.jpg

As the paint cured it caused the thin vacuum form plastic to "warp" a little, thereby the upper panels are not meshing with the lower body as they did in the primer state:

SoCalBellyTank_i-vi.jpg

SoCalBellyTank_k-vi.jpg

SoCalBellyTank_f-vi.jpg

So this is an idea on how I'll be displaying the model when it shows up at a model show and/or contest:

SoCalBellyTank_h-vi.jpg

thanx for lookin'

Edited by curt raitz

Beautiful! Great details and an absolutely convincing replica in every way.

It's a shame about the warpage, but the display idea really works and with all that tasty interior stuff actually requires it. For future reference, do you think it would have helped to clamp or pin the body parts into position as the paint cured?

Beautiful! Great details and an absolutely convincing replica in every way.

It's a shame about the warpage, but the display idea really works and with all that tasty interior stuff actually requires it. For future reference, do you think it would have helped to clamp or pin the body parts into position as the paint cured?

Curt,

GREAT job, my old friend!!

Bernard,

The problem with clamping or pinning the parts as they cure is that they'll often stick together, causing a whole new set of problems when you try to separate them :(

That even happens with lacquer based paints. I've seen on my models, even after several months of "cure time", that opening hoods/doors sometimes will stick a bit to the mating surface.

Later,

• 1 year later...