Model Cars Magazine Forum

Can one make 4x4 out of a Monogram Ford F-250 pickup, by using the axles and transfercase of the Monogram Bronco kit?

Yes you can, the parts aren't a perfect fit but it can be done. The TTB front end is correct for an F-250.

But I thought the F-250 used leaf springs with the TTB, while the F-150 shared the same front end components with the Bronco? I know the F-350 used leaf springs and a solid axle. Can a Ford expert verify which is which?

My '81 F-250 has TTB, but it is a light duty and has leaf springs. I don't think Ford used that setup for very long, by the time of the Monogram kit ('97-91), I believe they were using a solid axle, all the 250s I've seen have that setup.

Anyway, yes, the TTB from the Bronco could be made to work with the Monogram F-250, but it wouldn't be totally correct. On the other hand, you could just use the TTB, then put a small block in the truck and refer to it as an F-150 and sidestep all of that.

I believe I've seen all three front ends under 250s and I'm not sure what you do to get any specific front end on a particular truck. A guy at work had a 92-96 250 with a Powerstroke that had the leaf style TTB but another guy had the same body style with a 460 and a straight axle.

I've rebuilt plenty of TTB F250 and 350s, with both leaf and coil frontends. The overall design is the same as the lighter F150, just with larger spindles, control arms, and lower balljoints. The HD versions also used a Dana 50 reverse rotation center section, but that won't be noticable in scale.

Here is the exact conversion you are talking about. Bronco axle on F250 chassis. I had to alter the crossmember and add the mounts for the double shocks. This is for a F150.

f150091copy.jpg

Here is the complete chassis showing the transfer case. This transmission and transfer case are from the LIndberg F150 Off Road 4x4.

frontaxle020.jpg

The WIP for the conversion is here: http://www.modelcars...1990 +f150 +4x4

I have some pics of the 1:1 truck I will post if I get the chance.

Edited by Kit Basher

Luc, the front end from the Bronco will work for trucks that were equipped with the Dana 50 front end that used the coil spring suspension, but nothing heavier. All F250HDs and F350s in the late 80s/early 90s like the Revell/Monogram kits (recent reissue of the 250 and the older dually) had the leaf spring suspension and a Dana 60 front axle. Non HD models of the 250 did come with the Dana 50 in those years.

Also, just using the rear axle of the F250 or F350 kits as a front axle IS NOT a correct mod!! The kits use the Ford 10.25 rear axle, not a Dana 60 as commonly thought. The Ford 10.25 axle is ONLY a rear axle, Ford used the Dana 60 for the heavy duty F250s and all F350s for front axles on the 4x4s. I know for sure the axle in the kits are the Ford 10.25 rear ends because I have confirmed it by matching the rear end in the kit to my own 1:1 1990 F350 equipped with the Ford 10.25 rear axle.

Luc, the front end from the Bronco will work for trucks that were equipped with the Dana 50 front end that used the coil spring suspension, but nothing heavier. All F250HDs and F350s in the late 80s/early 90s like the Revell/Monogram kits (recent reissue of the 250 and the older dually) had the leaf spring suspension and a Dana 60 front axle. Non HD models of the 250 did come with the Dana 50 in those years.

Also, just using the rear axle of the F250 or F350 kits as a front axle IS NOT a correct mod!! The kits use the Ford 10.25 rear axle, not a Dana 60 as commonly thought. The Ford 10.25 axle is ONLY a rear axle, Ford used the Dana 60 for the heavy duty F250s and all F350s for front axles on the 4x4s. I know for sure the axle in the kits are the Ford 10.25 rear ends because I have confirmed it by matching the rear end in the kit to my own 1:1 1990 F350 equipped with the Ford 10.25 rear axle.

In which kits one would be able to find these parts?

Or...is there a resin caster who has all the hardware, needed to build a HD truck?

Interesting read guys!!

VCG Resins offers a Dana 60 center section in resin, you have to supply the axle tubes but this would be ideal to build your own front axle. They also offer a Ford resin transfer case.

Great guy, nice stuff and quick service! He is one of us and offers some neat items.

www.vcgresins.com

Thanks for the tip!

And to all the guys who contributed to this tread, also many thanks!!

Ford actually used the dana 50 all the way up until 2001 in the f250s and than they switched all axles to the dana 60. They used the ttb in al trucks up until 99 unless it had the dana 60 up front. Than they used a leaf spring solid axle type front end. A good place to look for reference and advice are powerstrokenation.com and powerstrokearmy.com. Ive been a member on both sites for years now.

Chad