Model Cars Magazine Forum

California Charger F.E.D. update

Bill ...... BLUE THE HEADERS. It will only add to the beauty of this build , If you can take the headers off with out messing something up that is. Remember no team would put a motor in a car that hasnt been tested first so bluing would be correct. Oh yeah and I forgot your compliment.... :blink:

Speechless Bill.... Super Fantastic.... crisp, clean detailing is an understatement...

IMHO, I would just leave the headers the way they are. I don't see any other weathering on the build, so I would suggest leaving the bluing off of them. To me it looks like a brand new rebuild of the engine and paint job ready for its first maiden voyage down the strip!

thanks Tyrone! allways appreciate your input!

really appreciate your opinion Bart, looks fine the way it is , but i'm leaning towards blueing, by the way I see you are from Olatha, you coming to the heartland nats?

Such a beautiful build, I'd leave the headers alone. That engine is off the hook.

Bill ...... BLUE THE HEADERS. It will only add to the beauty of this build , If you can take the headers off with out messing something up that is. Remember no team would put a motor in a car that hasnt been tested first so bluing would be correct. Oh yeah and I forgot your compliment.... :blink:

thanks so much Joe

I,m really leaning towards it TY, and thanks for the :blink: LOL

Spectacular work....Totally realistic in every sense.

This is, again, a superb model. Now I have to follow 3 threads.

I'm not only amazed by the quality of the builds here but you guys inspire me to try to reach the next level of detailing on my own models.

thank you so much Darryl for the encouragement,I value your opinion

thanks Hans, I agree ther are some incredible builds on this forum, they have inspired me as well, thats what got this project started!

Bill......this was one of the most beautiful dragsters to run down the 1/4 mile.......every part on your build looks brand new......I think you should ask Jerry Clayton his opinion about blueing the pipes......I bet he will say no.......not that the blueing would make it look ugly......just that he has the reputation of having one of the most perfect beautiful dragsters in history.......just my thought.....either way this is my vote for the best drag car of the year........hands down.

I was about to suggest painting the headers ruddy brown primer to match the color on so many of the pictures. This, I thought would make the build more accurate to the original, but would also cover up Bills beautiful metal work. It's so good to hear there was a version with bright plating on the headers.

the colored headers you have seen in some of the pics was sperex paint and was before the full nose bodywork---with the full nose, we did chrome headers, polished blower etc---Pat Foster(I think it was him or maybe Donovan) said that we had run out of things to chrome so John had to send out Tammy's teeth to get chromed( John's girl friends teen ager daugher)

Most of the shiny engine parts were polished magnesium and most people thought they were chromed aluminum, but aluminum was so much heavier we didn't use much of it(well the blower was)

Just noticed I 'm just at the 11 post mark and nobody has called me a newbi, nube????

Edited by jerry clayton

the colored headers you have seen in some of the pics was sperex paint and was before the full nose bodywork---with the full nose, we did chrome headers, polished blower etc---Pat Foster(I think it was him or maybe Donovan) said that we had run out of things to chrome so John had to send out Tammy's teeth to get chromed( John's girl friends teen ager daugher)

Most of the shiny engine parts were polished magnesium and most people thought they were chromed aluminum, but aluminum was so much heavier we didn't use much of it(well the blower was)

Just noticed I 'm just at the 11 post mark and nobody has called me a newbi, nube????

Jerry, with your knowledge of the subject matter, I think you should get a pass on the nube thing B)

Bill......this was one of the most beautiful dragsters to run down the 1/4 mile.......every part on your build looks brand new......I think you should ask Jerry Clayton his opinion about blueing the pipes......I bet he will say no.......not that the blueing would make it look ugly......just that he has the reputation of having one of the most perfect beautiful dragsters in history.......just my thought.....either way this is my vote for the best drag car of the year........hands down.

John I think you are right, I think we should leave it up to Jerry to decide, his opinion is very valueable to me on this build, after all if it wasn't for guys like Jerry we wouldn't have any on these beautiful cars to try and replicate, and also I appreciate the compliments, you are way way way too kind my friend!

We ran the chromed headers after we did the full nose body work and it never had any blueing on the pipes---I have spent a couple of hours looking at pics and haven't found any where there was any signs of blueing---

ok Jerry, (nube) I think I am going to leave it up to you! its your call on whether to take em off and blue them or leave em like they are! just let me know what to do with them LOL

I was about to suggest painting the headers ruddy brown primer to match the color on so many of the pictures. This, I thought would make the build more accurate to the original, but would also cover up Bills beautiful metal work. It's so good to hear there was a version with bright plating on the headers.

yea Alyn the full body car had everything polished and chrome headers, just gorgous! thanks for checkin in on it!

Well---I tried to put together one of the first Revell models,, had a hard time so I built the rear engine car--they then made 1/25 of that!!!!!!eventially the board of directors issued me an Honorary Master Modeler Certificate-----------

thats cool Jerry, I never knew there was a 1/25 model of the rear engine car, they must be really rare now days, I have never seen one! love to get my hands on that too!

thats cool Jerry, I never knew there was a 1/25 model of the rear engine car, they must be really rare now days, I have never seen one! love to get my hands on that too!

You can take the dragsters from that era and comp resins makes a kit with front wheel "pants",canards, and injector scoop to make the california charger. Gooche had made decals of the rear engine car.

Found on e-bay http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-REVELL-1-25-KEELING-AND-CLAYTONS-CALIFORNIA-CHARGER-T-F-DRAGSTER-/200729047408?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ebc623170

Would really like to see the rear engine car in 1/16th scale. Or a 1/16th rear engine car and someone make the proper parts, I am sure someone would make aftermarket decal for it.

tb

You can take the dragsters from that era and comp resins makes a kit with front wheel "pants",canards, and injector scoop to make the california charger. Gooche had made decals of the rear engine car.

Found on e-bay http://www.ebay.com/...=item2ebc623170

Would really like to see the rear engine car in 1/16th scale. Or a 1/16th rear engine car and someone make the proper parts, I am sure someone would make aftermarket decal for it.

tb

I can't believe I havent seen this kit before, after all the snooping I have done on the net, sometimes starting with an original kit makes it a lil more special to me, thanks for the info Terry! I see we are practically neighbors