Model Cars Magazine Forum

This is a pre-production sample kit of the Ford. Like the '54 Hudson, it does have the "eggshell" type texture on the body, but as with the Hudson, it is not a problem unless you don't plan to paint the model. :rolleyes: I removed the trim, left the tailgate off, and swapped in '53 F-100 side mirrors, snow tires from a Pacer, and a hitch from the Revell '65 Chevy. I also made my own rear bumper, and reconfigured the spare tire and carrier for a front-mounted "cowcatcher" setup. I also misaligned the cab and bed in an attempt to replicate a failing driver's side cab mount. Rust abounds, but I didn't add any holes to this one. Paint is Tamiya deck tan, which does look like faded, dulled Ford Mojave Tan. This one's a warm-up- I have something similar looking in mind, but a bit more detailed and rustier.

004_zpsbdprnl8b.jpg

005_zpsgzle3xtg.jpg

006_zpsb7agif0r.jpg

007_zpsrzmkl86d.jpg

The mirrors are actually along the same style as my dad's brand new '71 F100 had on it but those ones were stainless and not painted. Looks really good - Does the Moebius kit have the side trim molded as part of the kit or isit seperate? Just wondering because it would be neat to have the option of building a base Custom or Sport Custom as welll as the Ranger. Those models had much more narrow belt moldings and no decorative big panel on the tail gate.

Really really neat truck! Love the front mounted spare, reminds me of the '74 camper special my grandpa had many years ago, he had the spare on the front. An orange truck, maybe a reddish orange? Wonder if that was a factory color now that I think of it?

I used to work on that very truck. It had been passed down through a family since it was new. The window regulator was gone out of the drivers door and a 4x4 block held up the window. I don't know how, but you captured that truck perfectly. Great work!!!

What do you mean by pre-production?

The kit hasn't been released for sale to the public yet. But certain people involved in the industry/hobby receive pre-production "test kits" to build and evaluate. For the kit manufacturer it's sort of like getting the official "seal of approval" from hobby big shots like Chuck :D (and others) before the kit is released to the general public.

The kit hasn't been released for sale to the public yet. But certain people involved in the industry/hobby receive pre-production "test kits" to build and evaluate. For the kit manufacturer it's sort of like getting the official "seal of approval" from hobby big shots like Chuck :D (and others) before the kit is released to the general public.

Ooooh that's special. Thanks Harry :D