Model Cars Magazine Forum

York US30 MuscleCar Madness

For 6 of the past 7 years, our club has been a featured exhibit at the York Expo Center and it never ceases to amaze me how much attention we get from the participants and spectators. In a crowd like this, model cars have a unique appeal because pretty much everyone in the hall either built or builds models.

We cobbled up a quick and dirty faux staging lane diroama which actually looked pretty good when it was all said and done. We have plans to (hopefully) build a more permanent display with a replica of the US30 Cragar timing tower for next year.

The young kid is Lewis Hicks, a junior member of the club who builds pretty much any kit you put in front of him; vintage pro stock, muscle car, top fuel, hot rods, show rods...we can't wait to see what he brings to the next meeting! The old kid in the back is our club prez, Mr Mike Cole. He appears to be deep in thought, perhaps contemplating the purchase of yet another turkey sandwich from the concession stand outside the hall...

DSCF2571-vi.jpg

The hall had about 200 cars in it, all of them uber cool. One of the featured events is a cackle fest, when select open-header cars fire up and rattle the rafters. If you haven't experienced it, you never will again, as the zoomies on a vintage rear engine rail managed to spew enough heat and fumes to set off the fire alarm, resulting of course in a bunch of fire apparatus responding to the hall several minutes later.

DSCF2602-vi.jpg

And the big (little?) winner as selected by the show organizers, was Jim Stempfl's (I think I killed the spelling) SWC Willys.

DSCF2485-vi.jpg

Notice how well this big version captures the look of the model! Amazing!

DSCF2532-vi.jpg

And for scads more photos, clickify HERE.

Matt was there? DANG IT!!! :unsure:

Hey, those of us who were there felt that way too! :P

As an aside, I (actually, the club) got a nice e-mail from Darwin Doll, the organizer of the show, and we are going to be a part of this event as long as he is able to keep doing them! If he keeps doing these long enough, a certain Thunderbolt model might even get completed! (There, I beat you to it!)