Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Risky Buisness" Porche 928

John E. Bowers Jr.

I'm going to attempt a replication of the Porsche 928 that was used in the movie Risky Buisness. I believe that the car is a champagne color with a tan interior. Im gonna be mixing up two kits...

Porsche928choices006.jpg

Porsche928choices005.jpg

The Fujimi will be the most of the donor for this project since its body seems to be more perfectly proportioned than the Revell. I'm not sure if the movie car had a sunroof so I filled the kit one. I'll keep ya posted...

Porsche928choices009.jpg

Porsche928choices008.jpg

Porsche928choices007.jpg

I'll be watching this one to see if you have any issue building the "GT" kit, as I have that one to build as well.

I always thought the movie car was more of a grey than a champagne??

So did I untill I did some rsearch. I'm probably gonna buy the dvd to see for sure. I'll keep you postrd on the buildup.

I'll be watching this one to see if you have any issue building the "GT" kit, as I have that one to build as well.

I always thought the movie car was more of a grey than a champagne??

Maybe in between. Definately not gray but doesn't seem to be a true champagne either. med brown interior with a sun roof.

The movie car is in an Ill Museum.

Yeah I have GT kit to build too.

The Revell kit might have been the better choice as it has the correct nose and lights for the movie car.

Edited by CAL

I love builds like this.

I found this on http://www.928registry.org/Risky-Business-928-Excellence.htm

none of the four 928s used for the production of Risky Busi-ness exactly match the car as it is actually portrayed on film. The cars present a mix of years, wheels, transmissions, and original colors -all similar yet slightly different from one another. RB 928, as portrayed in the film, is a 1981 Platinmetallic 928 with a five-speed manual transmission, offset "Phone-Dial" cast alloy wheels, a gold interior, and Illinois State license plate tag number N2Z 264. And the primary 928 used for filming in real life was a Platinum Metallic 1981 928, but with an automatic transmission, flat-face 15-inch "Phone-Dial" wheels, a brown dash, gold seats, and a non-reflective prop Illinois license plate, number N2Z 264.

Hope this helps

Jameston

I love builds like this.

I found this on http://www.928registry.org/Risky-Business-928-Excellence.htm

none of the four 928s used for the production of Risky Busi-ness exactly match the car as it is actually portrayed on film. The cars present a mix of years, wheels, transmissions, and original colors -all similar yet slightly different from one another. RB 928, as portrayed in the film, is a 1981 Platinmetallic 928 with a five-speed manual transmission, offset "Phone-Dial" cast alloy wheels, a gold interior, and Illinois State license plate tag number N2Z 264. And the primary 928 used for filming in real life was a Platinum Metallic 1981 928, but with an automatic transmission, flat-face 15-inch "Phone-Dial" wheels, a brown dash, gold seats, and a non-reflective prop Illinois license plate, number N2Z 264.

Hope this helps

Jameston

It does, and thank you!

The story Mr. Johnson did on its history is great. It made me decide to do it as the "Dump Car" and I'll tell you why. The primary film car was shipped overseas. The one that Mr. Johnson founc clearly exsists and is in a museum. But the "Dump Car"... It is said that it was reassembled, but c'mon man, a car that was under that much water surley has been sold for scrap. This is part of the reason we all build models, to express our imaginations, right?!

Edited by John E. Bowers Jr.

Hello friend! I was lookin at the post and it got me thinkin of the car in rocky was this the model... I dont have the movies in the stash to check if any one has or knows .John sweet take and the thought is even more out there... must of seen the vhs tape lookin fer the classic boxing matches... HAHAHAH jus foolin Keep on wit the keepin on!!!peace

ajulia

Here is the one I built. Not like the Risky Business one, but closer to Scarface. One of the first kits I put together when I got back into modeling again.

928a-vi.jpg

I have another kit I used Testors Platinum Metallic airbrushed. It's a work in progress, meaning it sits in the box awaiting a sanding and re-paint.

I look forward to your build. This is one of my most favorite Porsche's and one cannot forget the great scenes in Risky Business!

Chris

wasn't there one of these in Weird Science too?

i have some personal experience with a 928-S with the V-8, it was quite fast! not as fast as my '71 Nova, but definitely faster than my '87 Mustang GT.

Dave

I also have a lot of personal experience in a 928-S. It was a nice car, fast, and got a lot of attention from the ladies and had a killer stereo in it from the factory. It would effortlessly cruise at 100mph.

Too bad they were targeted at people that didn't take care of them, so there isn't very many nice ones left. I wouldn't mind having one but I would sure be scared to buy a used one.

There were lots of Porsche updates the most people just didn't do.

Edited by CAL

Well, as you said, maybe the 928-S with the V-8, and I would like to see it, because, a 928 GT-S, it's a hard one to beat with that '71 Nova. How fast you mean, starting?, because in the long run these german cars are hard to beat.

Simón P. Rivera Torres

wasn't there one of these in Weird Science too?

i have some personal experience with a 928-S with the V-8, it was quite fast! not as fast as my '71 Nova, but definitely faster than my '87 Mustang GT.

Dave

Well, as you said, maybe the 928-S with the V-8, and I would like to see it, because, a 928 GT-S, it's a hard one to beat with that '71 Nova. How fast you mean, starting?, because in the long run these german cars are hard to beat.

Simón P. Rivera Torres

Well first of all all 928s had a V8 :D

I think they all have been ruined. :lol:

Jmmm....good to know it, my friend!...thank you!

Simón

Simon, no my '71 Nova outran that 928-S from start to finish. not just in the quarter mile, but also right up to 150 mph or so. with highway gearing and a nicely built small block it was quite fast, not terribly quick, but fast. not that i condone that type of behavior on public roads.

it's interesting that there were three cars used for filming in Risky Business. i would have thought that one, maybe two at most. one for the majority of filming and one for dropping in the drink!

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
The Revell kit might have been the better choice as it has the correct nose and lights for the movie car.

Agreed. I have changed direction about 22 and 1/2 degrees and have decided to use the Revell GT body. A little more work may be in store for me although it is more accurate for the movie car replication. Thanks,

J.B.