Model Cars Magazine Forum

Box Top Blunders, Omissions, False Advertisements...

A few years ago AMT came out with the 71 and 73 Mustang kits at the same time. I wanted the one with the rear window louvers. The box for 73 showed them while the 71 box didn't. I bought the 73. Yep! you guessed it. The kit that showed them didn't and the other kit did. I was just a little P.Oed. No, I didn't buy the other kit. Richard

Thanks for the info on this one. i already have a couple of victorias but was willing to grab this one for the wheels. Been wanting to build the stock car pictured on Marty Robbins 'devil woman' album for years. Just about bid on one the other day.

mike

Here's a good one

AMTFordVicky.jpg?t=1358732422

What is on the Box is not in the Box..

Thanks for the illustration. The old album's around here somewhere. I knew it was a coupe but would have bought the vic if it had the wheels. Got a few coupes in the stash. Marty also ran a Charger in the early 70's, found some decals for that one...

mike

Edited by mk11

One that I haven't seen in this thread that has been reissued at least twice w/ the same error is the MPC Dodge Dart Sport. MPC reissued it in the '80s labeled as a Plymouth Duster, and AMT did the same about 10 years ago in the RC2 era.

Similarly for the MPC '74 Road Runner which MPC issued as a GTX in the '80s and AMT more recently (presumably for the same reason Monogram called their Road Runner a Satellite--to avoid paying for the naming rights).

I think this was brought up in the recent Dodge pickup thread but it fits here too ! No 2 wheel drive suspension, tires or wheels, no mention of 2 wheel drive stock version in instructions either. Its also a "100" with 8 bolt wheels ???

100_0203_zps34de52bf.jpg

100_0204_zps0216a798.jpg

I think this was brought up in the recent Dodge pickup thread but it fits here too ! No 2 wheel drive suspension, tires or wheels, no mention of 2 wheel drive stock version in instructions either. Its also a "100" with 8 bolt wheels ???

And to top it off, they put the wheels on the wrong axles on the box art! :huh:

(presumably for the same reason Monogram called their Road Runner a Satellite--to avoid paying for the naming rights).

I think it was because MPC held the license from Warner Brothers to use the Road Runner cartoon and name at the same time the Satellite kit was new on the market...1984 or so?

I think it was because MPC held the license from Warner Brothers to use the Road Runner cartoon and name at the same time the Satellite kit was new on the market...1984 or so?

The Monogram Satellite was in the '82-84 range IIRC. No idea if MPC still had the license...they released the '74 RR as a 'GTX' in the mid '80s because I assume they didn't have a license then.

Edited by Rob Hall

Funny that everyone complains but have any of you taken the next step?

Remember the kid that complained during a price freeze that Testors raised the price on the bottles of paint?

The best thing to do is file a complaint with your local District Attorney, they will then investigate - here's a link to the forms in Orange County and yes it works.