Model Cars Magazine Forum

Help converting a '55 Nomad to a Sedan Delivery

Has anyone ever converted AMT’s ’55 Chevy Nomad to a Sedan Delivery? I know I could just buy a resin body, but that would take all of the fun out of it. My plan was to remove the Nomad trim and fill in the grooves in the roof. I have a set of the old Revell ’56 Chevy 2 door sedan doors. I plan on removing the slanted B-pillars from the Nomad and fitting in the window frames from the ’56 doors. I am open to suggestions for filling in the rear side windows. I suppose I can make panels out of some sheet styrene that I have. But I am not sure how to wrap/roll the sheets around the rear corners to meet up to the rear window frame. Or, I can use the nomad glass somehow, (which is already rolled at the rear), and mold it in place and paint it. Can anyone offer any advice or comments?

The angle of the final pillar and rear gate on the SD is different from the Nomad too...

IMG_1835.jpg

l_056a4da97f484c7a8ccd5953ba494da4.jpg

The Nomad rear is raked forward more, and more of the tops of the fenders poke out past the rear gate.

Filling the side windows with .015" styrene is easy, and you can gently form curves in the stuff with your fingers to conform to the curvature of the ends.

OR, yes you can use the Nomad 'glass'. Just make sure it's bonded VERY well to the body, so it doesn't crack on the seams while you do your bodywork. I really recommend a slow-set epoxy and milled cotton-fiber paste, or epoxy and RC-model-airplane fiberglass cloth to reinforce the joints. Do your bodywork with a two-part polyester automotive glazing putty like Icing.

USC-Autobody-Icing-Pourable-Brushable-Po

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

An interesting and challenging project...

Although the Nomad and sedan delivery chassis are the same, there is a substantial difference in the body.

The Nomad roof and tailgate are cosiderably different with the Nomad's shorter roof and more fastback slope to the tailgate. The Nomad roof is also two inches lower than the sedan delivery and wagon roof. It may almost be easier to start with the '55 sedan than the Nomad because that will give you the correct roof/windshiled height with everything from the back of the doors forward and the rear quarter panels. Starting with the Nomad gives a headstart on sedan delivery with a two inch chop so it's not a bad plan either. I've seen a couple of AMT Nomads buit with the windows glued in and painted - makes a cool phantom Nomad delivery.

(edit) oops, posting at the same time - the picures tell the story...

Edited by Muncie

Go for it - I have the Modelhaus 1956 Chevrolet sedan delivery kit for the Monogram '56 Nomad and it is very good - like everything from Modelhaus. It's a good piece with seats, interior panels, cargo floor, and hub caps. Wouldn't expect anything different from them for a '55 sedan delivery. I have a '56 2-door wagon resin body from somewhere else with the lower roof - not as good.

oops - sorry, posting at the same time again...

Edited by Muncie

This would be my recommendation....

If this model is critical (i.e., you need to make sure it's RIGHT), I would suggest buying the Modelhaus body. I've seen a couple of them and look good, and Don and Carol will treat you right. You will not meet two more honest people in this hobby.

Then...as Bill said, expand your skill-set. Try scratching the body using the Nomad and sheet styrene. That way, you can have it both ways...you can have your model done correctly and you can learn something new. Seeing that you'll need a Nomad for the chassis and running gear anyway, it also requires no more investment save the sheet styrene and finishing materials.

Charlie Larkin