Model Cars Magazine Forum

Can we see some scratchbuilt things?

mopar68

• 5 months later...

Hmm.!  Never knew this particular part of the forum existed!  Anyway here is one small piece of scratchbuilding I did for a 1938 Ford fire truck.  It is a Fitzhenry-Guptil pump done in 1/25 scale.  Made mostly of brass and plastic with some odds and ends here and there for wiring, etc.  The flywheel is made of turned aluminum and is connected to a shaft that turns a small gear at the back.  The large and small gear are connected by means of a piece of 1/8" sewing elastic that was superglued together and stretched over the gears.  It turns the crank shaft and the 3 pistons go up and down.

080.thumb.jpg.e2cc923237d4050b7d278b341a081.thumb.jpg.638e253de569e7fdd3170221f8085.thumb.jpg.fe642b6b0e9d58fea646a30f1b097.thumb.jpg.8744442ea9e5a1b04ae4ae656e095.thumb.jpg.12848bc22923655d90b0ca484c

079.jpg

Edited by Chariots of Fire

A mundane coolant cap...

DSC00527.jpg

A gauge set of Auto Meter Ultralite series. Everything is scratchbuilt including the lenses. I created the gauge faces and the needles are parts mounted on pins, not decals...

DSC00301C.jpg

Three row radiator. Mostly made of aluminum, some brass, some steel for the core. 67 pieces make up the shell, core, core support, fittings/hardware, cap and petcock.

DSC09448.jpg

DSC09450.jpg

Steering wheel. Around 20 parts. Mostly aluminum. I broached the splines into the receiver so they match the splines on the column. The red button on the right is for the nitrous. Even made a plastic wire guide to keep the switch wires from dangling loose, yes, that's a phillips head. (Note the stitching on the faux leather grip.)

DSC09402.jpg

DSC094055.jpg

dude the gages are sweet any chance I could get,some I have become disabled  in the last year hands,won't work right man I could use a couple  of sets 

Just found this thread re-newed posting. Wow. I'm blown away by the talent of what I see here. 

My share to scratch built is a complete model I designed first on paper for a highschool design class and as my Senior final project built a model, I was 16-17 years old.

This is it as I built this from sheet plastic, Plastic-wood filler and Squadron green putty. The only "kit" parts are the engine from an old F1 model and some interior pieces and wheel and tires.

Airbrushed with silver base, red graphics and shot transparent blue over all to acheive a wild 80's concept car paint job.

IMG_9307.thumb.JPG.3ffbe51d2cd2e7cac52b3

IMG_9308.thumb.JPG.22474f66eb220cfd6bc3d

IMG_9309.thumb.JPG.c23f69667734f802cfe92

IMG_9313.thumb.JPG.d05e342087172b86401e7

IMG_9325.thumb.JPG.8ee91dfee53153cd52d29

dude the gages are sweet any chance I could get,some I have become disabled  in the last year hands,won't work right man I could use a couple  of sets 

Thanks.  Those were made as individual units, to make more would be the same drawn out process.  Those spanned a month to make and took several days of work between the machining, fabrication and artwork.

Just found this thread re-newed posting. Wow. I'm blown away by the talent of what I see here. 

My share to scratch built is a complete model I designed first on paper for a highschool design class and as my Senior final project built a model, I was 16-17 years old.

This is it as I built this from sheet plastic, Plastic-wood filler and Squadron green putty. The only "kit" parts are the engine from an old F1 model and some interior pieces and wheel and tires.

Airbrushed with silver base, red graphics and shot transparent blue over all to acheive a wild 80's concept car paint job.

IMG_9307.thumb.JPG.3ffbe51d2cd2e7cac52b3

IMG_9308.thumb.JPG.22474f66eb220cfd6bc3d

IMG_9309.thumb.JPG.c23f69667734f802cfe92

IMG_9313.thumb.JPG.d05e342087172b86401e7

IMG_9325.thumb.JPG.8ee91dfee53153cd52d29

For 16-17 year old, that is nothing short of amazing!

I just realized this is going on and I am completely blown away!!! I have never seen stuff like this before and it is all sooooo realistic. I can't hold a candle to you all, but as a gesture - just to make you all look a little better (like you need it!), here are a couple of mine:

Speedster - scratched body, interior, most of the engine and the suspension.

altered roadster frame and front suspension.

Someday, when I grow up I want to be able to do nice stuff like you guys!

post-12703-0-42165200-1389313545_thumb.j

post-12703-0-84948000-1389313614_thumb.j

post-12703-0-59242900-1389313710_thumb.j

post-12703-0-33815100-1389313819_thumb.j

post-12703-0-65564600-1389313839_thumb.j

Love your speedster and would like to see more images of the finished project.I just finished a yellow speedster a couple weeks ago myself based on a resin '21 Olds resin roadster body from Jimmy Flintstone.PM me your email address and I'll send some pix of mine if you're interested.

Some of the things I've scratched on my Neikamp roadster project.  Here's the front axle and spring I built from various bits of Evergreen strip and rod:

frontaxle.jpg

One of the spindles::

spindle.jpg

And here's the front suspension painted and installed in the scratchbuilt frame:

Roadsterfrontaxle.jpg

Master for the brake backing plates:

Frontbrake1.jpg

I wanted to build it the way it looked when Hot Rod did an article on it in 1950,  and since nobody makes '49 Plymouth instruments in 1/25, I made some in Abodbe Illustrator, and had them printed on a sheet of plastic.  The instrument bezels at aluminum tubing

Instruments2.jpg

Aboslutely stellar parts!Kudos on excellent parts well done.

Scratch built this steering rack for my 1/12 scale MP4/6 build. Used aluminum and brass tubing. Filed the pieces and soldered together. Actually this is the first thing I ever scratch built.

Y1AhO9O.jpg

Y9M1uHv.jpg

Z3xF804.jpg

Made the junction block that is on the right side of the MP4/6 monocoque. I used some left over resin pieces from the Top Studio detail sets that I cut to size and glued together and a spare piece of PE cut to shape on top of the main block. The rest are RBmotion and Top Studio pieces.

f2YugaM.jpg

Not much and not as intense as some of the other tings here but its a start.

Had I known (not sure they were available then) I would have gotten this detailed carburetor from Fireball Modelworks. It's a very detailed, practically scratchbuilt carb to go on AMT's '67 Mustang kit's engine as the one in that kit was nothing more (to my eyes) than a plastic block.

In fact, I probably could have started out with just a plastic block and no one would have been the wiser! ;)

Here are a few pics to show the sequence of what was done..............

P7175242.JPG
p7175243.jpg
P7175244.jpgP7205246.jpgP7275248.JPGp7305252P8105263p8105262P9015287

If you click here and start with pic #53, that's pretty much the start of the carb buildup in the Mustang WIP, and I have text with some of the pics as to what was done. 

Had I known (not sure they were available then) I would have gotten this detailed carburetor from Fireball Modelworks. It's a very detailed, practically scratchbuilt carb to go on AMT's '67 Mustang kit's engine as the one in that kit was nothing more (to my eyes) than a plastic block.

In fact, I probably could have started out with just a plastic block and no one would have been the wiser! ;)

Here are a few pics to show the sequence of what was done..............

P8105263p8105262

If you click here and start with pic #53, that's pretty much the start of the carb buildup in the Mustang WIP, and I have text with some of the pics as to what was done. 

wow!

This is my biggest scratch project yet. It is a model of what's know as an Esaan Farm Truck here in Thailand where I retired. (I'm American) The engine is a one cylinder diesel with a crank start, producing 12-15 HP depending on the model. They make 1/2T. 3/4T and 1T models. My replica is scratch built except for the rear axle, tires/wheel, steering wheel/shaft, mirrors and headlights. The engine is scratchbuilt also. I used sheet styrene and Popsicle sticks along with balsawood and other materials. .The first pic is of a real truck. I went to a factory that makes these to study them. They are made in small mom & Pop factories with maybe 5-10 employees. They all look basically the same but are not exactly alike. They cost about $3000 brand new.

DSCN6790.JPG

DSCN6918.JPG

DSCN6919.JPG

DSCN6921.JPG

DSCN6971.JPG

DSCN6976.JPG

DSCN7354.JPG

DSCN7355.JPG

DSCN7356.JPG

jdt_thaiedantruck.jpg

This is my biggest scratch project yet. It is a model of what's know as an Esaan Farm Truck here in Thailand where I retired. (I'm American) The engine is a one cylinder diesel with a crank start, producing 12-15 HP depending on the model. They make 1/2T. 3/4T and 1T models. My replica is scratch built except for the rear axle, tires/wheel, steering wheel/shaft, mirrors and headlights. The engine is scratchbuilt also. I used sheet styrene and Popsicle sticks along with balsawood and other materials. .The first pic is of a real truck. I went to a factory that makes these to study them. They are made in small mom & Pop factories with maybe 5-10 employees. They all look basically the same but are not exactly alike. They cost about $3000 brand new.

DSCN6971.JPG

DSCN7355.JPG

Now that is something different,  very cool 

I scratchbuilt the body for this Junior Fueler from .005" aluminum flashing, just like Tom Hanna described it in a way old issue of Hot Rod Magazine. It's a lot of fun to push myself to try new techniques, and gives me a great deal of

satisfaction when I (kind of) pull it off!

IMG_0007.JPG

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

Edited by Straightliner59

DSC00527.jpg

A gauge set of Auto Meter Ultralite series. Everything is scratchbuilt including the lenses. I created the gauge faces and the needles are parts mounted on pins, not decals...

DSC00301C.jpg

Three row radiator. Mostly made of aluminum, some brass, some steel for the core. 67 pieces make up the shell, core, core support, fittings/hardware, cap and petcock.

DSC09448.jpg

DSC09450.jpg

Steering wheel. Around 20 parts. Mostly aluminum. I broached the splines into the receiver so they match the splines on the column. The red button on the right is for the nitrous. Even made a plastic wire guide to keep the switch wires from dangling loose, yes, that's a phillips head. (Note the stitching on the faux leather grip.)

DSC09402.jpg

DSC094055.jpg

This may have been posted here before, but I just found it today... an ongoing project in year 6 of a projected 10 year project.  Simply amazing.  I have seen at least a couple names I recognize from the forums, so I know some of you have seen it.  Didn't know if it had been here or not yet.

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/145354-construction-of-a-continental-mark-ii-model-scale-112/?page=1