Model Cars Magazine Forum

'78 Dodge "Warlock" 4X4. , ,May 10, cab and box mounted

Had an original back in the '70s when I was about 13 and had great fun with it.

I've been wanting another crack at it again for ages but never had the decals to do it and can't afford an original. Now I have new decals from Gooch, I'm gonna do it up like I had always envisioned it in my youth.

Still have the wheels from my original and that was about it but I think I can cobble something together from what I have.

Mostly, it's the LRE reissue. Front axel and transfer case is from the last issue MPC GMC '84 4X4. I know it's way not right but it's what I got. Hopefully I can find a fresh set of the Desert Dog tires but these used ones will have to do for now.

Biggest hangup is the "Warlock" decal for the tailgate is too large for the area it's supposed to go on so I'm gonna have to do a bit of surgery to the tailgate. I also cut the rear fenders from the box to make it easier to paint and polish that area.

Already put a couple coats of Tamiya gloss black on the body parts and glued the engine block together so I'm on my way.

IMG_1741-vi.jpg

Edited by Can-Con

Got one the Warlocks in my stash as well,but I believe they were offered in 3 different colors,i know black was one ,but can't remember the others.

They also came in dark green and dark brown ,, and I think they came in a dark red, maroon kindof colour.

Wow, a 4x4 pickup! A little outside your usual build style, my friend. ;)

In addition to a set of Desert Dogs I can supply you with the proper 4x4 front suspension for a Dodge if you like.

Thanks Chris. I have a nice set of modern pickup radials I think you'll like. IIRC, they came in some of the AMT '90s snaptite pickup kits.

Maybe on the suspension. I can always use a diff cover from a Dana rear on it and make it look OK. Could use a Dodge transfer case and driveshafts though. I could make the GM one work but it's way off from what the Dodge one looks like and mounts to the frame.

I'm looking forward to seeing the progress on your warlock steve.I had this kit when I was kid too.i picked an original MPC Warlock several years ago that somebody started on that was missing the chassis.all of the 4WD parts were there.i picked up a reissued Lil Red Express kit for several parts I needed for my warlock.i never knew billy goochie made repo decals for that kit.i will definitely have to get a set of those for mine.

I've seen factory warlocks that were black,orange,red and green.keep the progress pics coming :)

Well guys, whatever color they came in , mine's black like the original box art. Just having fun being 13 again and revisiting an old friend. :D

Anyway, the Gooch decals are an exact copy of the originals so that means the tailgate "Warlock" decal is a bit too big to fit in the recess in the tailgate properly. Seeing as I can't shrink the decal, I made the recess slightly larger,

I cut the area from the tailgate and filed the opening slightly larger so the decal would fit better. Glued a thin piece of plastic in the opening and puttied it up a bit to fill the seams. Not a big deal but should make a world of difference when it's all finished.

This is the only bodywork I plan to do aside from regular mold line cleanup.

IMG_1742-vi.jpg

Thanks for the tip on the tailgate steve.i'm going with black too just like the original box art when i start working on it.do you plan detail it a bit? i'm not sure which way to go with mine as the original kit exhaust/mufflers are pretty brittle on my kit.i wanted to build it box stock,but I might detail it a bit since i'm gonna have replace the exhaust anyway since its all damaged and too far gone to use.what color are you gonna do the interior?

Thanks for the tip on the tailgate steve.i'm going with black too just like the original box art when i start working on it.do you plan detail it a bit? i'm not sure which way to go with mine as the original kit exhaust/mufflers are pretty brittle on my kit.i wanted to build it box stock,but I might detail it a bit since i'm gonna have replace the exhaust anyway since its all damaged and too far gone to use.what color are you gonna do the interior?

Gonna do some basic detailing. Just plug wires, heater hoses , battery cables and maybe break lines from the master cylinder to the bottom of the firewall. Interior will be beige. Testors "desert sand" if I can find it.

I do plan to make the front wheels poseable though and add a roll bar, brush guard and some off-road lights. Just what you'd expect to see them like on the road in the early '80s after they've been used a few years. Maybe gone to the 2nd owner who wanted to "fancy it up" a bit.

Those were great trucks in that time, trucks now are just, meh.

All the old trucks were cool, now you got the raptor as the cool kid on the block and it probably has as many haters as lovers. Dont get me wrong i love the 97-03 f150s (profile picture) but they are plain and a bubble of a truck... Old stuff is superior. Cant wait for more progress

Still needs a few coats of clear to bury the edges of the decals but it's coming along.

Painted the wood floor of the box today and sprayed the color on the interior pieces.

This is around the height I want it. About how I remember the original kit sitting back then.

IMG_1747-vi.jpg

IMG_1748-vi.jpg