Model Cars Magazine Forum

History of MPC's Rounded Line Trucks

Fabrux

I believe I can answer some of your questions.

1. The black instrument panel was standard on the Custom Deluxe (base model), Scottsdale, and Cheyenne trucks. The bright instrument panel you see, which was standard on Silverado and Sport models, was optional on the other three as RPO BC3, and required gauge options Z53 voltmeter, temperature, oil pressure, and either V35 electric clock or U16 tachometer.

2. The Scottsdale came standard with the color keyed moulded floormat. Only the Custom deluxe had the black mat. Color Keyed carpeting was available in a Scottsdale, but required RPO Z77 Sport Truck.

On the seats, vinyl was standard, plus there was a striped vinyl that was a Scottsdale exclusive, as well as a cloth option.

3.You've pretty much hit the nail on that one, with virtually all of those trucks having the painted surfaces on the interior the same color as the exterior.

4. Bright windshield and backlight trim was standard on the Scottsdale, Cheyenne, and Silverado. It could be possible to see one without the bright rear trim if it has a rear sliding window, as some of the aftermarket widows will not work with the bright trim window gasket.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice review , Chris :) .

The only *correction* I can contribute pertains tot he first issue , the 1978 Annual : it was moulded in white , not maroon as you've mentioned .

It is , indeed , two-wheel-drive .

I built many of the original kit ; none have survived the ravages of time :( . It's the only version of that series that I ever wish to build again , but with the wheels / tyres from the AMT Chevy Van kit (steel wheels / hubcaps).

The third iteration of the '78 Pickup ---the so-called "Dust Devil"--- was a huge disappointment for me upon its release , as the false advertising of a "stock" version ---in two-wheel-drive guise-- was only revealled to me upon opening the box :angry: .

GemCo took it back from my 9 year old hands and offered me a replacement :) .

But , it didn't end there !

I wrote a letter to MPC explaining my dismay ; my disappointment over their false advertising of a "stock" version.

MPC replied in kind , and they too offered a replacment kit . I refused their offer , as GemCo already made good with a replacement .

But , I divulge ...

Round2 : Pretty Please retool that Fall Guy GMC to its 1978 origins , but with 2 wheel drive suspension in addition to the coveted (by most , not me) 4 wheel drive parts ; and , include both bedstyles :D .

What a good idea...dscn4990.jpgdscn4989.jpg

I would like some pictures of the engine; very difficult to find pictures online as most trucks you see have V8s! I'm still on the lookout for pictures of an 84-87 with a V6...

I believe that truck came with the 4.3L V-6 that was found in the S-10 pickups starting in 1988. Previously the 6 cylinder engine in the GM pickups was the old L-6 250 c.i. Stringent emissions standards rendered the L-6 obsolete as it had a carb.

Longbox55 will know for sure, he seems to have vast knowledge on these vintage trucks.

What a good idea...dscn4990.jpgdscn4989.jpg

I would buy a case of these if you offered them up Tom, resin or styrene! ;)

I believe that truck came with the 4.3L V-6 that was found in the S-10 pickups starting in 1988. Previously the 6 cylinder engine in the GM pickups was the old L-6 250 c.i. Stringent emissions standards rendered the L-6 obsolete as it had a carb.

Longbox55 will know for sure, he seems to have vast knowledge on these vintage trucks.

I would buy a case of these if you offered them up Tom, resin or styrene! ;)

Even though this truck has an 8 foot bed made from a Blazer, I have three resin 8' beds waiting to be used. I can't for the life of me remember who cast them, and I don't know if they're still available. I think it was Race Motor Replicas.

'85 was the first year for the 4.3 V6 in the Full Size trucks, with 2 different variants. One was a TBI engine rated at 155 hp, the other has an odd Quadrajet 4bbl induction, and was rated at 130hp. The 292 inline was still available, using the Dualjet 2SE carb, but was pretty much only found in Crew Cab and Bonus Cab (Crew Cab with no rear seat) models, though I have heard of a few standard cab 1 tons with it. I remember the sheet metal shop my Dad worked for buying a few of those carbureted V6 trucks, 1/2 ton shortbed 2wd with the manual trans, very doggy performance.

"[T]he other [4.3 litre V6] has an odd Quadrajet 4bbl induction, and was rated at 130hp [...]

" I remember the sheet metal shop my Dad worked for buying a few of those carbureted V6 trucks, 1/2 ton shortbed 2wd with the manual trans, very doggy performance."

California Emissions Package engine ? ( :angry: ) . whenever I hear "doggy performance" , I automatically think , Must be a California-spec engine !

Sounds like these carburetted 262's had the obscure "Dual-jet" ; they looked like the Qudrajet at first blush , but were actually a 2 Bbl !

Those 4bbl trucks (RPO LB1)seem to be more of a fleet option, rather than emissions. The trucks I've seen were all in Illinois and Indiana. The Dual Jet, which is a very common carb, was used on the passenger car versions of the 4.3, as well as the earlier 229 V6, the Buick V6, the late production 292 inline 6, and 60 degree 2.8. You are right about it looking similar to a Quad, it's more or less a Quad split down the middle. Very familiar with them, as I have an S10 with one on it.

The real Fall Guy truck had a tool box that opened from the side, at least so you could see. Actually, the "jump trucks" were mid-engined for better weight distribution and balance, so those were actually service access doors.

By the way, MPC didn't fall on hard times. They were purchased first by General Mills, then like AMT were purchased by the Ertl Co., which was sold to Kidde, International (better known for making fire extinguishers). The reason MPC was discontinued was because the MPC boxes were slightly larger than AMT and didn't fit in the packing carton. It was never more complicated than that.

Terry

• 2 weeks later...

Could be, I guess. Overall, though, the box size was the reason why MPC brand was discontinued at the time. My sources were Karen Sands and Tom Haverland, who were working in Ertl marketing at the time, and from John Mueller, who was a designer.

I did about 40 interviews with marketing and engineering people from the companies when I did Hot Rod Model Kits. They always had fun kinds of inside information. I wish we could have used all of the stories, but there wasn't room.

Terry

Axle trusses are the big giveaway. Plus the winch/skid plate at the front, the 78/79 GMC grille, dual tanks, lack of access panel on the bed, under-window cab trim... but it has the roll bar, bull bar, and wheels from the eventual Fall Guy kit. They must've had a lot of issues getting that kit produced as even the box art truck has the 81-82 Chevy grille.

• 1 month later...

I just got my hands on an unbuilt '78 I bought it primarily for the Rally Wheels, which I am going to use on my '74 Impala Build. I am going to build this one right, detailing it out. 1978 was the first year I sold Chevies, so this kit means something to me. A delership I worked for had a loaded '80 Sportside, which was loaded to the hilt, except that it had the base wheels and tires. The Truck Manager said he ordered it that way, because they intended to do a tire and wheel swap. I plan to put a set of American 200-S Wheels on mine, with a lowered front suspension. I am also going to swap out the bench seat, a set if High-Back buckets like I had on an '81 Demo I had, which I called "The Cowboy de Ville". It was a loaded long bed C-10, with Factory Aluminum Wheels. I had 3 of them for demos. They were so cool and sold well.

• 9 months later...

I have just checked my kits, I got the 78 step side in 4x4 and the 2wd version and the later Ground Shaker version and the fenderflares in the groundshaker fit to that cab so they must have altered them aswell. I don't have the sodbuster so I don't know about that one.