Model Cars Magazine Forum

'71 Cuda finished! 11-16-13

Dragfreak

Amen to what John Shoe just said !!! Jason, your wagon is sweet !! Your are a lucky young man, I always liked Vegas, even when they were brand new on the scene. One thing I would do is put the full length front bumper back on but that is me. The cut bumperettes look better if the cut ends are capped and finished so they don't look cut.

This build is really fun to watch, you are doing very fine work! I really like the body color too, it fits perfectly to this kind of car. I guess I should start my entry for this year's Cannonball too...

And nice Vega. I'm a huge fan of GM H-Bodies. We had '79 Skyhawk, but it was sold last year since we needed some cash for the new Chevelle-project. That was really fun car, too.

_smaller.jpg

This build is really fun to watch, you are doing very fine work! I really like the body color too, it fits perfectly to this kind of car. I guess I should start my entry for this year's Cannonball too...

And nice Vega. I'm a huge fan of GM H-Bodies. We had '79 Skyhawk, but it was sold last year since we needed some cash for the new Chevelle-project. That was really fun car, too.

_smaller.jpg

Thanks Niko!! the vegas, monzas, skyhawks, all of them are awesome little cars!

awesome work on the cuda keep it up and a very nice vega wagon

Thanks!

Amen to what John Shoe just said !!! Jason, your wagon is sweet !! Your are a lucky young man, I always liked Vegas, even when they were brand new on the scene. One thing I would do is put the full length front bumper back on but that is me. The cut bumperettes look better if the cut ends are capped and finished so they don't look cut.

Thanks Alan! I love the vegas as well, theyre very cool looking!!

Splendid work here , Jason !

As a side : it warms my cynical heart to recognise that someone in your age bracket is into real cars ! Keep the faith , brother !

Thanks im not into those rice burners kids these days are into. Nothing like a muscle car!!

Bad news. the white billboards that Al sent to me cracked and fell apart as soon as I got them out of the water and on the body, I had plenty of water already on the body and the decal easily slid off the paper so I have no idea why they cracked but its extremely frustrating!! I had no other choice but to get the kit black ones out and put them on their. They look alright but not near as good as the white ones looked .

103_0042_zps9d4face2.jpg

so after I calmed down and put the black billboards on I foiled the body and got some clear on it, in the pictures you can see how rough it is so it needs to be rubbed out bad! ill let it sit for a few days and then polish it to a mirror like finish.

103_0053_zpsd8fc7c63.jpg

103_0049_zps7d7a0371.jpg

103_0045_zps3f37833d.jpg

Tip for next time ...... top coat the decals first with Microsol liquid decal film, clear or future floor finish, let dry then place in water

Ill make shure I do that thanks Alan!

I like the black billboards Jason. You're putting some nice details in this build.

Thank you Roy I liked the white billboards a lot more but I guess things happen for a reason and ill have to deal with the black ones.

I also got the engine painted, I didn't have hemi orange paint so I had to custom mix some regular colors into this so I hope its close.

103_0058_zpse1996e5a.jpg

103_0059_zps60ead25e.jpg

103_0057_zps58e4fa13.jpg

Edited by Dragfreak

+1 on the Microsol Decal Film. Fred Cady decals, Keith Marks decals, old AMT fragile decals, and even desktop printed decals all need that Microsol to keep them from fracturing into millions of tiny pieces. Saves a TON of time and aggravation!

I think the black bill boards look just as good. Top notch job on the foiling and paint, I painted a 69 Daytona (need to finish) the same color and it looks so nice in the sun light. Testors did a good job with their one coat lacquers. Can't wait to see more from this build, keep up the great work.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jason, The Cuda is looking great !!! The paint and foiling looks good to me :)

Randy

Thnks Randy I appreciate it!!

the black bill boards look good to me, too bad about the white ones, still looks great, really nice job on the foiling Jason, keep at it

Thanks Bill!!!

+1 on the Microsol Decal Film. Fred Cady decals, Keith Marks decals, old AMT fragile decals, and even desktop printed decals all need that Microsol to keep them from fracturing into millions of tiny pieces. Saves a TON of time and aggravation!

I will keep all this in mind next time I pick up an old kit or get my hands on some old decals

Looking forward seeing the body polished! The engine looks great aswell.

Thanks Tom!!

hey Jason, sorry about the decals. they would have looked really good on there. you are doing a bangup job on that cuda, i dont think anyone will care if they a re black or white. keep going bud....

Thank you Al ill keep at it

Hey Jason. What clear did you use? This thing is looking great

The clear I used is testors one coat lacquer wet look clear

I think the black bill boards look just as good. Top notch job on the foiling and paint, I painted a 69 Daytona (need to finish) the same color and it looks so nice in the sun light. Testors did a good job with their one coat lacquers. Can't wait to see more from this build, keep up the great work.

Thanks Jonathan get that Daytona finished id like to see it!! and Testors did do a good job with this line of paint, its great stuff.

I haven't gotten a whole lot of progress as school, homework, and track have taken up more time and I'm getting less and less free time to work on the Cuda but I have some bad news, I must of gotten a bad can of clear because after letting it sit for 7 days over spring break I started to rub out the paint and as soon as I did it was bubbling and flaking all over. I think I was able to save it by some sanding, recoating, and buying another can of clear and sprayed a few coats on the body. I felt like throwing this thing at a wall when I started having these problems but I'm glad I didn't because even though its already turning out bad I just want to finish it and stick it on the shelf.

Edited by Dragfreak

The clear I used is testors one coat lacquer wet look clear

Thanks Jonathan get that Daytona finished id like to see it!! and Testors did do a good job with this line of paint, its great stuff.

I haven't gotten a whole lot of progress as school, homework, and track have taken up more time and I'm getting less and less free time to work on the Cuda but I have some bad news, I must of gotten a bad can of clear because after letting it sit for 7 days over spring break I started to rub out the paint and as soon as I did it was bubbling and flaking all over. I think I was able to save it by some sanding, recoating, and buying another can of clear and sprayed a few coats on the body. I felt like throwing this thing at a wall when I started having these problems but I'm glad I didn't because even though its already turning out bad I just want to finish it and stick it on the shelf.

Was that clear from a partial white can or an all black/all dark color can?

I'm glad you didn't do that either, I want to see this nice car finished too. Where there is a will there is a way, I'm sure it will turn out just fine with a little tlc.

Was that clear from a partial white can or an all black/all dark color can?

I'm glad you didn't do that either, I want to see this nice car finished too. Where there is a will there is a way, I'm sure it will turn out just fine with a little tlc.

The clear was a brand new can of wet look clear in the black and white with flames can. After rubbing out the body I'm getting good smooth as butter spots and for example on the top of the fenders the bad clear is all bubbled up underneath but its still shiny so I don't know how I can fix this, to get rid of the bubbles and get the color back while still having it come out like the rest of the car being shiny. I got a bit more work done yesterday so ill snap some pics soon and get them on here.

Here's the problem I'm having with the bad clear under the good clear after polishing

103_0066_zpsda11f93d.jpg

it looks okay in pictures but theyre giving the car justice from how it looks in person

103_0068_zps9e2f57ff.jpg

103_0070_zpsc9625cd4.jpg

103_0072_zps7211e741.jpg

I'm going to put a parachute on this thing so hers how it should look, im just going to copy the design I did for my '69 nova

103_0062_zps7ee66dd5.jpg

Yeah that's the newer version of wet look clear. My brother used a can recently and had pretty much the same results. I don't know if Testers changed the formula or if you two just ended up with bad cans, I'm starting to question whether or not I'll use it. I know the older all dark color cans turn out great.

The clear was a brand new can of wet look clear in the black and white with flames can. After rubbing out the body I'm getting good smooth as butter spots and for example on the top of the fenders the bad clear is all bubbled up underneath but its still shiny so I don't know how I can fix this, to get rid of the bubbles and get the color back while still having it come out like the rest of the car being shiny. I got a bit more work done yesterday so ill snap some pics soon and get them on here.

Yeah that's the newer version of wet look clear. My brother used a can recently and had pretty much the same results. I don't know if Testers changed the formula or if you two just ended up with bad cans, but I'm starting to question whether or not I'll use it. I know the older all dark color cans turn out great, I have not had a problem so far. After seeing the recent pics it still looks great and the parachute looks fine to me, but I'm not a drag racing expert either.

Jason your Cuda looks great so far. I'm just getting back into building model cars after 50+ year's absence and following your built and checking out the photos I learn something every time you and others post. I am currently building in 1964 Dodge 330 sedan with the 426 Max wedge motor. I started out by painting the body black and then I also used the wet coat clear coat. I also had a problem with this clear coat paint when I put down the first mist coat a large blast of clear came out of the can causing runs and drips all over the side. I tried for a few days to sand it all off but it was too difficult getting into the drip rail moldings and window channels. I ended up buying another Max wedge kit and I am now in the process of applying a different wet coat. I am also a big-time NHRA drag racing fan and I just recently retired racing my Super Stock car. Keep the post coming.

John

I find that so odd guys. I have used 10 or so cans of this clear and have not seen this. I still swear by cans as I am too lazy to learn how to use my airbrush lol. Anyway for best results I still sit my cans in a bowl of hot tap water for 5-10 mins before spraying. Smooth as glass every time.