Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kenworth W900 custom stealth build

I have had this kit for almost 2 years and jst now getting to it...I had planned on doing it box stock, but haven't seen too many people customizing it. I thought I would throw my own little touch to it. It will be a dark truck with just a little bit of chrome accenting on it.The way I would want my 1:1 truck if I drove one. Here is the stance I went with, not much lower than stock, but just a bit. Will be getting more done to it, as well as some more pics...thanks

any suggestions or opinions are appreciated

DSCN4359.jpg

Got a little more done tonight....I need to wait for a slow day to paint the body and frame...I have thought about going with black gloss on body and a dark grey for the frame...still unsure about the exhaust, tanks etc....

interior...dark grey with some red/white accents....left steering wheel and shift knob white for a little contrast and to go along with the white gauges...let me know what you guys think....will get more progress pics up asap

DSCN4367.jpg

DSCN4365.jpg

I am going to try the coat hanger first...I would like to keep the original stacks for another project. I and guessing since the coat hanger is plastic i can just glue everything together like I would with the original stuff? I plan on making bracket that will fit the holes in the truck already...so I don't have to fill anything in lol. Wont get much done today, am watching my 2 year old niece for the afternoon...but will update as soon as something is done. thanks for the ideas.

Its looking good man.

As far as the pipes on the real truck they look a little to long to me.

I like the color for the look your going after.

I'm not hijacking your site with this photo just giving you some ideas if you want them.

I went with black and Gunmetal on this one and built it on the ground as if it was at a show with the air bags dumped.

If you want your fenders closer to the tires just add flat plastic to the bottom edge and some puddy and your set.

The pipes on this one is 5/32 tube cut to fit the way I wanted on this one.

DSC06063-1.jpg

Got some work done on the stacks tonight....think I have the look I am going with, just need to figure out how high they should be...They will be cut down shorter than the pic, but not sure how much....was thinking about an inch above the truck...any ideas or suggestions? The coat hanger is quite a bit bigger than the stock stacks, so kind of had to piece it together underneath, but not many people will see under it lol. By the time I install the tanks and steps, it should cover any eye sores :)

DSCN4372.jpg

DSCN4373.jpg

DSCN4374.jpg

What exactly would 13'6" be in scale? I think i will cut them down so they are about 8mm (8" in 1:1 scale) above the cab..keep them kind of short. Will try and get them cut down sometime this evening....hoping to get this thing painted asap...thanks for the comments and suggestions guys.

Well finally got the stacks worked down to the size I liked. They are about 4 1/2" tall and are just above the cab. Had to make some brackets to mount them with, luckily the styrene rod I had was the perfect size to fit the holes in the truck. Made some V pieces and added the round styrene...Will be basically like the original design. Should look good once painted. Should I paint them body color, or paint them however I do the exhaust?

DSCN4376.jpg

DSCN4377.jpg

DSCN4378.jpg

DSCN4380.jpg

Been busy, but finally got some time to work ok this truck. I got the body/hood painted black and got the clear drying now. I had planned on painting the grille, bumper, tanks gloss black as well, but ran out of black paint. I had also planned on painting the stacks, frame and wheels a dark grey gloss....but with no black, I cant make the grey I had planned out lol. I am going to try and find some flat black and spray everything else, and go from there. Not exactly what I wanted, but I want to get this finished soon. Will get pics up as soon as clear dries.

I have always waned to drive a truck, and if I did I wanted a solid black one....You see the ones that are extreme chromed out, but i don't think I have ever seen one in person that was all black. Just gives the truck more attitude being black....hoping to get more done tonight and tomorrow...thanks again

Got all the flat black sprayed, just waiting for it to dry and I will get some pics...I had to change direction on this, because i ran out of black, so therefor couldn't make the dark grey I wanted. But it turned out to be ok...think the flat black looks better. Will get pics up ASAP