Model Cars Magazine Forum

Auto ID #80 FINISHED!

The car in the picture is a Russian GAZ M-13, known as a "Chaika." It is basically a rebadged Packard, and was built between 1959-81, virtually unchanged all those years!

These cars were only available to people in government; "regular people" weren't allowed to have them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaika_(car)

http://www.auctionsamerica.com/events/feature-lots.cfm?SaleCode=AF12&ID=r370&Order=runorder&feature=grouping=&category=

Who got it right:

trogdor

blunc

wisdonm

Thom

Chris R

george53

Gee Bee

kennb

draggon

mr chips

Badluck 13

mr moto

sjordan2

W-409

patami

TooOld

Nxr

Mr Obsessive

customsrus

dimaxion

G Holding

Corvair Jim

slusher

otherunicorn

Jon Cole

lovefordgalaxie

maltsr

lunajammer

matthijsgrit

So how many of us thought it was a Zil limousine? I know I thought it was. Then Harry said "Nyet!" Took some hunting, but I finally found the Chaika name.

See, Jon, that's what you get for "Russian" to answer one of Harry's quizzes! The names of these Soviet cars come easily for those of us who read spy novels. Looking at the car, I think Ron has a point about it looking like a "Canadian Checker" - Is "Chaika" Russian for "Checker"?

I did not know what it was but I've noticed Harry's trend of using foreign cars with what seems to be leaning toward Slavic/Russki choices so... since I remembered the Gaz pickup previously in this game I set my google image search to Gaz and let'er rip.

I enjoy this game because I learn about new cars while researching the current game selection.

Edited by blunc

Guest G Holding

Because I don't think there are too many American cars that you guys wouldn't know. ;)

I "googled" 1955 Russian packard sedan ......yours was the third row down.

(OK a bit better shape)

looked like a 55 packard to me, but it wasn't, so I read the history and learned.....the rest of the Packard.... :lol: :lol: :rolleyes:

Edited by G Holding