Model Cars Magazine Forum

1970 GTO Judge

Sport Suburban

Here is another one I finished this year. This is the 1970 GTO Judge. I built this with a few mods but didn't get crazy with accuracy. This is an old MPC kit that I loved building. I have three more of these in my stash and plan to make one a conv. The rear wing came from Time Machine resin and the air cleaner came from Missing Link. It's for the 69 officially but I think it looks good on this one too. Decals are Keith Marks and the paint is from Model Car World in Orbit Orange. I bought the paint in 2008 and finally built it. Clear is the same automotive clear I am using now. The exhaust tips came from my parts box and I would like to find some more.

70GTOb.jpg

70GTOd.jpg

70GTOe.jpg

70GTOf.jpg

Groovy Judge , Suburban !

Reminds me of the one in Dazed & Confused (1993 film which takes place in Summer 1976 ... 'highly' recommended !).

Is that air cleaner assembly a non-thermostatic version ('69 & earlier on *most* American vehicles) or does it have the "cold start emissions" heated 'cleaner base ?

Is that air cleaner assembly a non-thermostatic version ('69 & earlier on *most* American vehicles) or does it have the "cold start emissions" heated 'cleaner base ?

Thanks, The air cleaner is sold as a 69 part from Missing Link and came with the exposed headlights grills for the 69. It does not have the heatriser tube on the drivers side of the motor. That could easily be added and I missed it. I'm not going to worry about that as the rest of the engine compartment is so bland. I just really could not use the kit supplied chrome air cleaner.

Thanks, The air cleaner is sold as a 69 part from Missing Link and came with the exposed headlights grills for the 69. It does not have the heatriser tube on the drivers side of the motor. That could easily be added and I missed it. I'm not going to worry about that as the rest of the engine compartment is so bland. I just really could not use the kit supplied chrome air cleaner.

Thanks for additional info , Raoul !

That GTO's boilerroom looks awesome ; I'm definitely not suggesting that you failed to deliver that in any capacity . No pre-heat tube , no problem :) . I was just surmising as to its presence , as I know that not every high-perf car had that arrangement in 1970 (witness the air cleaners for the 340 , and the Air Grabber / Ramcharger F.A.I. of the 383 / 440 / 440+6 and Hemi : no "cold start emissions" air cleaner).

Incorrect air cleaners for otherwise stock engines are a sore point with me (in es , the air cleaner in the old Monogram '71 "Satellite" ) , but I don't know why :huh: .

Keep up the beautiful work , Raoul !

Thanks for additional info , Raoul !

That GTO's boilerroom looks awesome ; I'm definitely not suggesting that you failed to deliver that in any capacity . No pre-heat tube , no problem :) . I was just surmising as to its presence , as I know that not every high-perf car had that arrangement in 1970 (witness the air cleaners for the 340 , and the Air Grabber / Ramcharger F.A.I. of the 383 / 440 / 440+6 and Hemi : no "cold start emissions" air cleaner).

Incorrect air cleaners for otherwise stock engines are a sore point with me (in es , the air cleaner in the old Monogram '71 "Satellite" ) , but I don't know why :huh: .

Keep up the beautiful work , Raoul !

Thanks John, I didn't take anything negitive about what you stated about the air cleaner. I was just answering your question honestly for everyone. I had thought about kitbashing this with the AMT 69 Olds for the better chassis and engine comp, then adding the 400 from Revell's 68 Firebird. That would add the detail I would like to see in this subject. I had to get the air cleaner thou since it is such a signiture piece of the Ram Air engine in the Judge's. I like this old kit and it can be built nice out of the box. I enjoy these old tool MPC kits as these are the kit's that will test your skills and make you learn something.